From: bkmmd on
Here's what works for me, and how I got there. Note that I'm a mac user, and
don't have the patience for the long drawn up fixes.

A long time ago, I ran into a similar problem. An old version of Norton
Utilities found a several missing files in the .Net installations. I copied
these files from backups, ran the updaters, and everything seemed to work. I
also saved a copy of the missing files in case the problem recurred. It did.

This time around, here's what was missing from my installation:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\_dataperfcounters.h

In the past, other files that have disappeared include
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CORPerfMonSymbols.h

After copying these files over, I ran Windows update, and the patch worked
this time.

Your results may vary.