From: Dread Pirate Roberts on
I kept getting the 0x8024D007 error when I tired Windows Updates. I was also,
at boot-time, getting an error that the system could not find WTSAPI32.DLL. I
thought they were separate errors. I went to a different machine and found
out where the WTSAPI32.DLL module was (c:\windows\system32). I copied it to
my machine in that subdirectory. Suddenly, Windows Update began sending me
updates!

The solution is to install WTSAPI32.DLL into c:\windows\system32! If you
can't find a copy of it, I believe you can use EXPAND.EXE (on your original
Windows disk) to replace it. The command would be, I think, EXPAND
WTSAPI32.DL_ c:\windows\system32
From: MowGreen [MVP] on
0x8024D007 WU_E_SETUP_REGISTRATION_FAILED
An update to the Windows Update Agent was skipped due to a directive in
the wuident.cab file. This depends upon wuident.cab directive, currently
as follows. There is no skip directive in the wuident (although there
have been as part of test), so this error shouldn't be present in recent
logs.

Sorry, just copying wtsapi32.dll to %windir%\system32 did NOT resolve
the error 0x8024D007 .
wtsapi32.dll is related to Windows Terminal Server SDK APIs
which has NOTHING to do with Windows Updates. Besides, did you ever
register the .dll ?

What happened was that 'something' was preventing the software
components required for the updating process from being updated
properly. That issue was resolved and is unrelated to the copying of the
..dll.
Check the WindowsUpdate.log to confirm if you doubt this explanation.
Also, check the System Event log for an update to Automatic Updates.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: Dread Pirate Roberts on
Darn! I thought I had it nailed! So many other people have had the same
problem, and I didn't see my solution... and then it turns out to be a quirk.
So, I guess I don't have the solution. My son (the systems architect) told me
that wtsapi32.dll had nothing to do with the 0x8024D007 Windows Update
problem, thus agreeing with you, but I thought I'd found it. Sorry about
that.

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
No problem at all. Just glad to hear that your system can update and
wanted to let others know what the story was, Dread Pirate Roberts.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten