From: amzoti on
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100707/od_yblog_upshot/the-secret-code-in-u-s-cyber-commands-logo
From: Nick Cramer on
amzoti <amzoti(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100707/od_yblog_upshot/the-secret-
> code-in-u-s-cyber-commands-logo

The newly formed U.S. Cyber Command is supposed to centralize and focus the
military's ability to wage war over the Internet, but so far it's basically
famous for brainteasers. The command's fancy logo contains a super-secret
code in its inner gold ring: 9ec4c12949a4f31474f299058ce2b22a. Though some
people noticed the code late last month, Wired's Threat Level blog picked
it up Wednesday morning and announced a contest, with a free T-shirt (or a
ticket to the International Spy Museum) going to the first reader to crack
the code.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/f2e60bb038.jpg

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
From: Globemaker on
On Jul 8, 12:39 am, Nick Cramer <n_cramerS...(a)pacbell.net> wrote:
> amzoti <amz...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100707/od_yblog_upshot/the-sec...
> > code-in-u-s-cyber-commands-logo
>
> The newly formed U.S. Cyber Command is supposed to centralize and focus the
> military's ability to wage war over the Internet, but so far it's basically
> famous for brainteasers. The command's fancy logo contains a super-secret
> code in its inner gold ring: 9ec4c12949a4f31474f299058ce2b22a.

I decrypted that code using AES in the mode ECB using a key of all
zeros:
50 06 c4 6f 0b 00 38 d8 0c e3 d5 2a a8 c3 8e 05
The result has no meaning to me.
From: Dave -Turner on
"Curry suspects that the designers used a cryptographic algorithm called an
MD5 hash to transform the mission statement into the string of characters,
but he doesn't know whether they took choice bits or the whole statement"

The code is 32 characters tho, so 256bit. MD5 is 128bit.

From: Paulo Marques on
Dave -Turner wrote:
> "Curry suspects that the designers used a cryptographic algorithm called an
> MD5 hash to transform the mission statement into the string of characters,
> but he doesn't know whether they took choice bits or the whole statement"
>
> The code is 32 characters tho, so 256bit. MD5 is 128bit.

Hum?

The code is (with very high probability) hexadecimal characters. So, 32
nibbles -> 128 bits.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

"...so she told me it was either her or the ham radio, over."