From: Eef Hartman on
Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
> peetoo:/home/backup /home/backup nfs noauto,user,hard,intr
> peetoo:/home/install /home/install nfs noauto,user,hard,intr
> peetoo:/home/public /home/public nfs noauto,user,hard,intr

The option "hard" is default, doesn't have to be specified (although "soft" must).
intr is usefull, indeed.

> /home/backup 192.168.3.0/24(sync,rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
> /home/public 192.168.3.0/24(sync,rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)

sync is default again.

> root(a)peetoo:~# exportfs -arv

Either -a (export all) or -r (re-export, when you made changes to the
exports file), not both at the same time. I think -r overrides -a, though.

> Hmm, remember Slackware doesn't turn on RPC by default (nor samba),
> since these services need to have their setup files defined before
> they can be useful. Make rc.nfsd executable so it is automagically
> started next boot, and, start it now. Isn't it nice we don't need
> to reboot Linux for these changes to take effect? :o)

When you got an empty /etc/exports even making it executable isn't
enough, it will only start the daemons WHEN it finds something exported.
So you can keep it executable all of the time and control it through
the exports:
nfsd_start() {
# Sanity checks. Exit if there's no /etc/exports, or if there aren't any
# shares defined in it.

> Note the options 'sync' and 'hard,intr' above, they make for reliable
> nfs operation. I've been using nfs for many years now, without
> problems.

As I said, sync (as alternative to the faster but less reliable async)
and hard ARE the defaults (and have been a long time).
async is normally only used in combination with ro because then there
are no "delayed write updates" anyway.
I never found out why intr isn't default either...
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: Grant on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:02:50 +0200, Eef Hartman <E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl> wrote:

>Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
>> peetoo:/home/backup /home/backup nfs noauto,user,hard,intr
>> peetoo:/home/install /home/install nfs noauto,user,hard,intr
>> peetoo:/home/public /home/public nfs noauto,user,hard,intr
>
>The option "hard" is default, doesn't have to be specified (although "soft" must).
>intr is usefull, indeed.
>
>> /home/backup 192.168.3.0/24(sync,rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
>> /home/public 192.168.3.0/24(sync,rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
>
>sync is default again.
>
>> root(a)peetoo:~# exportfs -arv
>
>Either -a (export all) or -r (re-export, when you made changes to the
>exports file), not both at the same time. I think -r overrides -a, though.

I always had problems remembering the options, these work, even if
they look ugly :)

>> Hmm, remember Slackware doesn't turn on RPC by default (nor samba),
>> since these services need to have their setup files defined before
>> they can be useful. Make rc.nfsd executable so it is automagically
>> started next boot, and, start it now. Isn't it nice we don't need
>> to reboot Linux for these changes to take effect? :o)
>
>When you got an empty /etc/exports even making it executable isn't
>enough, it will only start the daemons WHEN it finds something exported.

My point was to not forget to activate it, as on a new install, it's not
marked executable.

>So you can keep it executable all of the time and control it through
>the exports:
>nfsd_start() {
> # Sanity checks. Exit if there's no /etc/exports, or if there aren't any
> # shares defined in it.

Oh sure, I don't imagine going back to disable rc.nfsd even after
emptying the exports file.

>> Note the options 'sync' and 'hard,intr' above, they make for reliable
>> nfs operation. I've been using nfs for many years now, without
>> problems.
>
>As I said, sync (as alternative to the faster but less reliable async)
>and hard ARE the defaults (and have been a long time).
>async is normally only used in combination with ro because then there
>are no "delayed write updates" anyway.
>I never found out why intr isn't default either...

Well, I been using nfs for a long time, didn't follow when particular
options became defaults -- sometimes stating the default serves to
remind one how it's set -- I don't do this very often, like the
reminders.

Thanks for checking and commentary :)

Grant.
From: Giovanni on
On 07/21/10 01:13, Grant wrote:

> So I wanted to mount one of those nfs exports on another box,
> deltree (the trailing slash is there 'cos I use tab completion):
>
> ~$ mount /home/backup/
> mount: RPC: Program not registered
>
> Not a very helpful message :(

Wrong! It explains why nfs can't be mounted.

Check if rpc services are started!
Maybe you forgot to make executable the file /etc/rc.d/rc.rpc.

Ciao
Giovanni
--
A computer is like an air conditioner,
it stops working when you open Windows.
From: Grant on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:56:40 +0200, Giovanni <lsodgf0(a)home.net.it> wrote:

>On 07/21/10 01:13, Grant wrote:
>
>> So I wanted to mount one of those nfs exports on another box,
>> deltree (the trailing slash is there 'cos I use tab completion):
>>
>> ~$ mount /home/backup/
>> mount: RPC: Program not registered
>>
>> Not a very helpful message :(
>
>Wrong! It explains why nfs can't be mounted.

You didn't read the whole story, did you?

>Check if rpc services are started!

Since when does not started == not registered?

>Maybe you forgot to make executable the file /etc/rc.d/rc.rpc.

Maybe you decided to shoot off a message before reading full context?

Maybe too, your English is not so good? That's okay, you're right at
one level, but a little wrong in context. Yes, grey area, the world
is not contrasty black and white as some would like :)

Grant.