From: JohnC on
Most posts are about something that doesnt work ,This is about
something that works but shouldn't work
I have read in many places the vlookup only works with first column
data -but I have tried it with other columns and it seems to work -
What are the real rules for Vlookup ?
From: Pete_UK on
The second parameter in VLOOKUP defines the table where you are trying
to find a match. The lookup_value (the first parameter) is compared
with values in the first column of that table. Your table might be
defined as C$2:F$100 in the formula (with other values in columns A
and B), but the formula will search column C for a match as that is
the first column in the table.

Hope this helps.

Pete

From: Gord Dibben on
From help on VLOOKUP

VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup)

Lookup_value is the value to be found in the first column of the array.
Lookup_value can be a value, a reference, or a text string.

Show us one of your formulas that works if a column is not first in the in
the table_array.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP