From: davidst on
I have many users using Open Webmail, and it's usually instant, but
sometimes they hit the send button and it takes a while (10+ seconds)
to respond. I'm guessing that OWM is waiting for sendmail to accept
the message. Sendmail might be waiting because of Spamassassin.

Are there any log files I could check to explore this situation?

Anyone have suggestions for how to ensure that the response time is
usually as fast as possible? (I don't have any kind of power saving
stuff installed, so I'm fairly sure nothing is going to sleep for lack
of use).

Thanks,
David
From: D. Stussy on
"davidst" <davidst.vz(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have many users using Open Webmail, and it's usually instant, but
> sometimes they hit the send button and it takes a while (10+ seconds)
> to respond. I'm guessing that OWM is waiting for sendmail to accept
> the message. Sendmail might be waiting because of Spamassassin.
>
> Are there any log files I could check to explore this situation?
>
> Anyone have suggestions for how to ensure that the response time is
> usually as fast as possible? (I don't have any kind of power saving
> stuff installed, so I'm fairly sure nothing is going to sleep for lack
> of use).

E-mail isn't instant messaging.

You probably have alot of DNS lookups occuring before acceptance.

From: davidst on
On May 21, 2:38 pm, "D. Stussy" <spam+newsgro...(a)bde-arc.ampr.org>
wrote:
> "davidst" <davidst...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I have many users using Open Webmail, and it's usually instant, but
> > sometimes they hit the send button and it takes a while (10+ seconds)
> > to respond.  I'm guessing that OWM is waiting for sendmail to accept
> > the message.  Sendmail might be waiting because of Spamassassin.
>
> > Are there any log files I could check to explore this situation?
>
> > Anyone have suggestions for how to ensure that the response time is
> > usually as fast as possible?  (I don't have any kind of power saving
> > stuff installed, so I'm fairly sure nothing is going to sleep for lack
> > of use).
>
> E-mail isn't instant messaging.
>
> You probably have alot of DNS lookups occuring before acceptance.

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind to tell the boss in case raising the
maxchildthread in SpamAssassin didn't help :-)

From: Sendmail on
On May 22, 2:06 am, davidst <davidst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 21, 2:38 pm, "D. Stussy" <spam+newsgro...(a)bde-arc.ampr.org>
> wrote:
>

> > "davidst" <davidst...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > I have many users using Open Webmail, and it's usually instant, but
> > > sometimes they hit the send button and it takes a while (10+ seconds)
> > > to respond.  I'm guessing that OWM is waiting for sendmail to accept
> > > the message.  Sendmail might be waiting because of Spamassassin.
>
> > > Are there any log files I could check to explore this situation?
>
> > > Anyone have suggestions for how to ensure that the response time is
> > > usually as fast as possible?  (I don't have any kind of power saving
> > > stuff installed, so I'm fairly sure nothing is going to sleep for lack
> > > of use).
>
> > E-mail isn't instant messaging.
>
> > You probably have alot of DNS lookups occuring before acceptance.
>
> Hmm, I'll keep that in mind to tell the boss in case raising the
> maxchildthread in SpamAssassin didn't help :-)

check your /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf u'll surely get a solution.

Thanks,
Anshul