From: Joerg on
Gents,

My trusty old Nokia 2115i only gets one and very occasionally two bars.
It does connect but calls fail. Can't get a new one before the next trip
because it needs to be sent from VirginMobile and the local stores don't
have any that would work. Is there some "typical" problem that happens
with such phones, like bad solder joints?

Or are there any issues with the Sprint network these days? That's what
it uses.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: Tim Williams on
"Joerg" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:89u4evFdeoU1(a)mid.individual.net...
> My trusty old Nokia 2115i only gets one and very occasionally two bars.
> It does connect but calls fail. Can't get a new one before the next trip
> because it needs to be sent from VirginMobile and the local stores don't
> have any that would work. Is there some "typical" problem that happens
> with such phones, like bad solder joints?

With RoHS where it is, doesn't that go without saying? Then again, my also quite old Nokia 6015i is still going strong, original battery!

Heh, while googling about them, I saw a list of AT commands. Maybe you can hack a serial/USB connection to it and run some diagnostics on the modem?

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
From: Joerg on
Tim Williams wrote:
> "Joerg" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> My trusty old Nokia 2115i only gets one and very occasionally two
>> bars. It does connect but calls fail. Can't get a new one before
>> the next trip because it needs to be sent from VirginMobile and the
>> local stores don't have any that would work. Is there some
>> "typical" problem that happens with such phones, like bad solder
>> joints?
>
> With RoHS where it is, doesn't that go without saying? ...

Yup. That's why I was asking. Maybe someone knows stuff like "Oh, the
connection over yonder tends to always come apart".

> ... Then again,
> my also quite old Nokia 6015i is still going strong, original
> battery!

So was mine, until something happened. Maybe a local EMP event which is
a possibility in my line of work.

> Heh, while googling about them, I saw a list of AT commands. Maybe
> you can hack a serial/USB connection to it and run some diagnostics
> on the modem?

Nah, I don't want to go quite that far.

From: Spehro Pefhany on
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 15:38:43 GMT, the renowned Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On a sunny day (Sun, 11 Jul 2010 08:15:19 -0700) it happened Joerg
><invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in <89u5glFj7mU1(a)mid.individual.net>:
>
>>Tim Williams wrote:
>>> "Joerg" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> With RoHS where it is, doesn't that go without saying? ...
>>

>>Yup. That's why I was asking. Maybe someone knows stuff like "Oh, the
>>connection over yonder tends to always come apart".
>>

>>> ... Then again,
>>> my also quite old Nokia 6015i is still going strong, original
>>> battery!
>>>

>>So was mine, until something happened. Maybe a local EMP event which is
>>a possibility in my line of work.
>>

>>> Heh, while googling about them, I saw a list of AT commands. Maybe
>>> you can hack a serial/USB connection to it and run some diagnostics
>>> on the modem?
>>>

>>Nah, I don't want to go quite that far.
>>
>>--
>>Regards, Joerg
>
>My advice: Do not buy a phone locked to a specific carrier.

No Chinatowns where you live? I can go to any number of little cell
phone outlets and get pretty much any phone unlocked-- usually the
asking price is around $25 cash. You can do it yourself too, but
there is some risk of bricking the phone, depending on type.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff(a)interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:20:51 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany
<speffSNIP(a)interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in
<n7vj36tcup2gkvh8rrrcnfbl2hu5ls72j0(a)4ax.com>:

>>My advice: Do not buy a phone locked to a specific carrier.
>
>No Chinatowns where you live? I can go to any number of little cell
>phone outlets and get pretty much any phone unlocked-- usually the
>asking price is around $25 cash. You can do it yourself too, but
>there is some risk of bricking the phone, depending on type.

Yes I know 10 Euro in Rotterdam.
You can also send it in.

To DIY you need a special cable sometimes...