From: Andrew Ballard on
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:55 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> At 8:28 AM -0400 4/8/10, Andrew Ballard wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Ryan Sun <ryansun81(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  >
>>>
>>>  rsort(array_combine(array2, array1));
>>>
>>>  you should expect array(
>>>  'Personal Email' => 75,
>>>  'USPS mail' => 40,
>>>  'Personal Phone' => 31,
>>>  'Web site' => 31,
>>>  'Text Message' => 31
>>>  )
>>>
>>>  logically, the items are your key but not the count of votes
>>>

>> That's the ticket. The solution is pretty simple now that we
>> understand the nature of the problem.  :-)
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Andrew:
>
> Half the solution is understanding the problem.
>
> However, the above solution only solves half the problem.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com

Yes, but looking for alternative array sorts in the manual will lead
you to arsort(). :-)

<?php

$a = array
(
1 => '75',
2 => '31',
3 => '31',
4 => '31',
5 => '40',
);

$b = array
(
1 => 'Personal Email',
2 => 'Personal Phone',
3 => 'Web site',
4 => 'Text Message',
5 => 'USPS mail',
);

$x = array_combine($b, $a);
var_export($x);
/*
array (
'Personal Email' => '75',
'Personal Phone' => '31',
'Web site' => '31',
'Text Message' => '31',
'USPS mail' => '40',
)
*/

echo "\n";

arsort($x);

var_export($x);
/*
array (
'Personal Email' => '75',
'USPS mail' => '40',
'Text Message' => '31',
'Web site' => '31',
'Personal Phone' => '31',
)
*/

?>

Andrew
From: Robert Cummings on
tedd wrote:
> At 8:28 AM -0400 4/8/10, Andrew Ballard wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Ryan Sun <ryansun81(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> rsort(array_combine(array2, array1));
>>>
>>> you should expect array(
>>> 'Personal Email' => 75,
>>> 'USPS mail' => 40,
>>> 'Personal Phone' => 31,
>>> 'Web site' => 31,
>>> 'Text Message' => 31
>>> )
>>>
>>> logically, the items are your key but not the count of votes
>>>
>> That's the ticket. The solution is pretty simple now that we
>> understand the nature of the problem. :-)
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Andrew:
>
> Half the solution is understanding the problem.
>
> However, the above solution only solves half the problem.

Maybe I'm confused... but can't the following be used?

<?php

array_multisort( $votes, SORT_DESC, $items, SORT_DESC );
$final = array_combine( $items, $votes );

print_r( $final );

?>

Cheers,
Rob.