From: Derril Lucci on
Dear all,
I am writing a program that for some reason one of the options takes
20 seconds to run while the other two combined take 12 seconds. I have
the problem narrowed down to one line of code that is always run. This
line executes a shell command via puts(`...`). So, I am convinced the
reason the program takes so long lies in the puts source. If anyone can
direct to that, I would be most grateful.

TL;DR: My code is running slowly and I think puts(..) is the reason
why. Anyone have the source for it?

Cheers,
dlucci

From: Robert Dober on
On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Derril Lucci <derril.lucci(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>  I am writing a program that for some reason one of the options takes
> 20 seconds to run while the other two combined take 12 seconds.  I have
> the problem narrowed down to one line of code that is always run.  This
> line executes a shell command via puts(`...`).  So, I am convinced the
> reason the program takes so long lies in the puts source.  If anyone can
> direct to that, I would be most grateful.
I am convinced that the reason lies in the shell command.
If you are not, try this
p "starting"
x = `...`
p "end"
puts x
HTH
R.

> TL;DR:  My code is running slowly and I think puts(..) is the reason
> why.  Anyone have the source for it?
>
> Cheers,
>  dlucci

-- Alan Kay