From: Frank Guerino on
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help on this.

It appears that I have to clarify myself a little better (sorry about
that). I currently have one long main file that has "both" Classes and
Methods. The Methods are "not" in the Classes and are completely
stand-alone.

The above examples clearly show how to split Classes across multiple
files and I get how that works. Thank you for that.

In addition to breaking Classes out to separate files and including them
through Modules, can I also split out the stand-alone "Methods" into
other files.

The Methods are very long and the initial stages of the refactoring
effort include simply splitting the methods into separate files to
reduce the main file size.

Can I somehow define Methods in separate files, aggregate them into a
Module and then Require that Module in my main file?

Thanks again for all your help.

Frank

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser on
Frank Guerino wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Thanks for your help on this.
>
> It appears that I have to clarify myself a little better (sorry about
> that). I currently have one long main file that has "both" Classes and
> Methods. The Methods are "not" in the Classes and are completely
> stand-alone.

No method is completely stand-alone in Ruby. Methods that appear to be
stand-alone are actually defined on class Object, which everything else
inherits from. And that's usually poor practice. You generally want to
put your methods into an appropriate class.

> The above examples clearly show how to split Classes across multiple
> files and I get how that works. Thank you for that.
>
> In addition to breaking Classes out to separate files and including them
> through Modules, can I also split out the stand-alone "Methods" into
> other files.

Yes, but it would be more Rubyish if you found classes to put them into.

> The Methods are very long and the initial stages of the refactoring
> effort include simply splitting the methods into separate files to
> reduce the main file size.

No. The initial refactoring should involve making the methods shorter.

> Can I somehow define Methods in separate files, aggregate them into a
> Module and then Require that Module in my main file?

Yes. But you'd be better served to do this in a more OO way.

> Thanks again for all your help.
>
> Frank

Best,
--