From: Henry on
How does SpywareBlaster work please? Does it run in the background
taking up space?

Thanks

Henry
From: siljaline on
Henry wrote:
> How does SpywareBlaster work please? Does it run in the background
> taking up space?

Point your Browser here >
<http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23>
Sign-up and join the community of a multitude of users that love the app.

Silj

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

From: Henry on
siljaline wrote:
> Henry wrote:
>
>>How does SpywareBlaster work please? Does it run in the background
>>taking up space?
>

> Point your Browser here >
> <http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23>
> Sign-up and join the community of a multitude of users that love the app.
>
> Silj

I went there but it just says that it doesn't run in the background.
If it doesn't, how does it work. You sent me to a forum with many
questions. Fortunately one of them was the same as mine and directed
me to a site that just says it doesn't run in the background.

Thanks

Henry
From: ~BD~ on
Henry wrote:
> How does SpywareBlaster work

Quote:

"SpywareBlaster adds sites to the restricted zones by adding the domain
as a subkey under the registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. A dword is then added to that domain named *
and given a hex value of 4 to specify that it is part of the Restricted
Sites Zone. More specifically, Spywareblaster sets the "killbit" on the
CLSID's of known spyware. Every program has a CLass ID that is unique to
the type of program. Once Spywareblaster enables (writes) those killbits
they are "locked in" and any identified spyware cannot be opened.
Spywareblaster writes these killbits in and then stays off until you
need to re-write them again with an update.

SB does not run in the background. Instead it only requires installation
and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check
periodically for database updates and then enable all protection again."

That's what is says here!
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t92857.html

HTH

--
Dave
From: siljaline on
Henry wrote:
> I went there but it just says that it doesn't run in the background.
> If it doesn't, how does it work. You sent me to a forum with many
> questions. Fortunately one of them was the same as mine and directed
> me to a site that just says it doesn't run in the background.

I sent you there deliberately, Henry, so that if you use the software you will
know where to get official support for it as opposed to something nebulous from
elsewhere ... but never from here =)

The short answer to your question is for those that have certain members that
recently found here killfiled is :

<quote> SpywareBlaster disables certain ActiveX control class IDs associated with parasites.
This has the effect of hobbling some parasites if they are installed, and preventing many others
from loading by ActiveX drive-by-download in Internet Explorer. </quote>
The above we and are lay terms best used to describe what Spyware Blaster does and has never
been disputed.