From: Melina on
Hi,

We have a website (.NET 2.0 on IIS 6.0) and a Sql Server 2005 (9.0.4035)
running on the same machine, a Windows Server 2003 R2 Service Pack 2 with 8
GB RAM (Xeon E5405 2 Ghz). The website works with stored procedures. And max
20 users at the same time.

We are wondering the best following parameters for this particular
configuration... So, we have 2 questions:

Firstable, what is the best configuration for the 8 processors (0 --> 7) for
the processor affinity and the I/O affinity ?
Today we have:
Id Proc Proc Affinity I/O Afiinity
0 1 0
1 0 1
2 1 0
3 0 1
4 1 0
5 0 1
6 1 0
7 0 1
The others parameters (threads) are the default ones.

Second question: what about the Memory parameters (AWE ? min and max Memory
?). Today, the values are the default ones.

Thanks a lot,

M�lina.

From: TheSQLGuru on
1) Leave Affinity alone and defaulted. Let it take care of itself until
such time as someone who really knows what they are doing can tell you you
need to manually specify setting it.

2) is this 32 bit or 64 bit OS/SQL Server?

3) ALWAYS set a max memory for SQL Server. the value depends on MANY
things, but with your configuration I would recommend 5GB to start since you
have other stuff running on the server.

4) there are MANY other configurations/settings you should be taking care of
if this is a production machine. Hire a perf tuning professional for a few
hours to get things set up and explain why he/she did what they did.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.