From: Bill_Orova on
Hello Gurus
Here is an interesting problem I now have several Sql Server 2008
servers set up at the company. I have installed several times the client
tool for this server this set up is for users and low level admins. On
one machine the load keeps failing.... During the process it tells me to
reboot the machine then starts all over again with the first steps of
the istallation then reboot again. Someone mentioned that you could not
load SQL Server 2008 if you have a copy of Sql server 7.0 and SQL
server2000 and SQL server2005 on the same box? Is that true?

Wisord

From: Uri Dimant on
I do not remember about SQL 7 but it is not true for 2000/2005

From: John Bell on
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:59:25 -0700, Bill_Orova <nospam(a)devdex.com>
wrote:

>Hello Gurus
>Here is an interesting problem I now have several Sql Server 2008
>servers set up at the company. I have installed several times the client
>tool for this server this set up is for users and low level admins. On
>one machine the load keeps failing.... During the process it tells me to
>reboot the machine then starts all over again with the first steps of
>the istallation then reboot again. Someone mentioned that you could not
>load SQL Server 2008 if you have a copy of Sql server 7.0 and SQL
>server2000 and SQL server2005 on the same box? Is that true?
>
>Wisord

Hi

The SQL 2008 installation will install the pre-requisites and then
possibly reboot, but as far as I can remember the database
installation will not reboot part way through.

Are you saying you have 4 different instances on the same machine? Or
just one older instance? Usually older versions can exist if you
install the oldest first. One thing you might not be abe to do is
install SQL 7 on Windows 2008, but SQL 2000 is installable but not
supported.

John
From: John Bell on
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:53:05 +0100, John Bell
<jbellnewsposts(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:59:25 -0700, Bill_Orova <nospam(a)devdex.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hello Gurus
>>Here is an interesting problem I now have several Sql Server 2008
>>servers set up at the company. I have installed several times the client
>>tool for this server this set up is for users and low level admins. On
>>one machine the load keeps failing.... During the process it tells me to
>>reboot the machine then starts all over again with the first steps of
>>the istallation then reboot again. Someone mentioned that you could not
>>load SQL Server 2008 if you have a copy of Sql server 7.0 and SQL
>>server2000 and SQL server2005 on the same box? Is that true?
>>
>>Wisord
>>
>>*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
>
>Hi
>
>The SQL 2008 installation will install the pre-requisites and then
>possibly reboot, but as far as I can remember the database
>installation will not reboot part way through.
>
>Are you saying you have 4 different instances on the same machine? Or
>just one older instance? Usually older versions can exist if you
>install the oldest first. One thing you might not be abe to do is
>install SQL 7 on Windows 2008, but SQL 2000 is installable but not
>supported.
>
>John

WHat do the installation logs say?

John