From: dcship on
I'm new to working with ASP.NET. I am currently working with a contractor on
a project for my company. He seems to prefer to use older methods for doing
things such as datagrids instead of gridviews, and SqlDataAdapter in code
instead of SqlDataSource Control. What are the advantages and disadvantages
to both methodologies? Should I try to get him to use the newer methods?
Thanks in advance for your help with this.
From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"dcship" <dcship(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I'm new to working with ASP.NET. I am currently working with a contractor
> on
> a project for my company. He seems to prefer to use older methods for
> doing
> things such as datagrids instead of gridviews, and SqlDataAdapter in code
> instead of SqlDataSource Control. What are the advantages and
> disadvantages
> to both methodologies?

DataGrids have been deprecated in favour of GridViews since ASP.NET v2 -
they definitely should not be used.

Personally, I never go anywhere near the SqlDataSource "training wheels"
controls. I have a DAL (database abstraction layer) which I use for
everything, and can be dropped unmodified into any .NET project whether
WinForms, WebForms or whatever. It's based on this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BCB166F7-DD16-448B-A152-9845760D9B4C&displaylang=en

> Should I try to get him to use the newer methods?

Any ASP.NET developer who would use DataGrids in preference to GridViews in
2010 needs to be treated with extreme suspicion, IMO...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP