From: Peter Korsgaard on

root> Hi,
root> The following patches add LZMA decompression support to Squashfs, using the
root> in-kernel LZMA decompression library.

root> The patches also add a decompression framework to Squashfs.
root> This allows LZMA decompression to be added cleanly, and it allows
root> additional decompressors to be easily added in the future.

root> To enable the in-kernel LZMA decompression code to be used by Squashfs,
root> there are two patches to the lzma code itself: one to make lzma available
root> to non-init code, and one to make lzma reentrant. These are obviously
root> not restricted to Squashfs, but are needed by any non-init code that
root> may wish to use lzma compression.

Nice, do you also have an mksquashfs with lzma support?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard
From: Phillip Lougher on
Peter Korsgaard wrote:

> root> Hi,
> root> The following patches add LZMA decompression support to Squashfs, using the
> root> in-kernel LZMA decompression library.
>
> root> The patches also add a decompression framework to Squashfs.
> root> This allows LZMA decompression to be added cleanly, and it allows
> root> additional decompressors to be easily added in the future.
>
> root> To enable the in-kernel LZMA decompression code to be used by Squashfs,
> root> there are two patches to the lzma code itself: one to make lzma available
> root> to non-init code, and one to make lzma reentrant. These are obviously
> root> not restricted to Squashfs, but are needed by any non-init code that
> root> may wish to use lzma compression.
>
> Nice, do you also have an mksquashfs with lzma support?

Yes, in Squashfs CVS (http://sourceforge.net/projects/squashfs/develop).
You'll need to edit the squashfs-tools Makefile to enable LZMA support.
The comments in the Makefile should, hopefully, explain how to
build LZMA support into Mksquashfs/Unsquashfs.

Once built-in, LZMA support can be specified using the -comp lzma option, i.e.

mksquashfs dir dir.img -comp lzma

Unsquashfs doesn't need any extra options, it automatically detects which
compression has been used.

You can tell which compression algorithms Mksquashfs/Unsquashfs support by
just typing the command on its own (i.e. mksquashfs, or unsquashfs). The
(de-)compressors available are displayed at the end of the output.

Phillip

From: Bruno Wolff III on
On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 08:37:48 +0000,
Phillip Lougher <phillip(a)lougher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following patches add LZMA decompression support to Squashfs, using the
> in-kernel LZMA decompression library.

I am a member of the Spins SIG and the Games Spin maintainer for Fedora.
Thanks for working to get LZMA squashfs included in 2.6.33. If this
gets accepted, we will have livecd-creator using it in F13 in order
to include more packages in size limited images (such as the Games Spin)
or reduce the size other images.
Possibly it will be mentioned as a "feature" for the F13 release. I have
a proposed feature page set up and waiting for these patches to be accepted at:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/LZMA_for_Live_Images
From: Ozan Çağlayan on
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 08:37:48 +0000,
> Phillip Lougher <phillip(a)lougher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The following patches add LZMA decompression support to Squashfs, using the
>> in-kernel LZMA decompression library.
>>

> I am a member of the Spins SIG and the Games Spin maintainer for Fedora.
> Thanks for working to get LZMA squashfs included in 2.6.33. If this
> gets accepted, we will have livecd-creator using it in F13 in order
> to include more packages in size limited images (such as the Games Spin)
> or reduce the size other images

Similar, I was looking forward to squashfs-lzma to use it on our
distribution's installation/live medium. I once digged into the openwrt
patches and failed. Now I tested your patches (on top of 2.6.30.9) +
userspace from CVS patched with lzma 4.65, it's working flawlessly. With
lzma, our live cd image's size decreased from 820mb to 692mb.

Thanks a lot for your work
Ozan Caglayan

From: Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz on
Phillip Lougher wrote:

> Peter Korsgaard wrote:

>> Nice, do you also have an mksquashfs with lzma support?
>>

> Yes, in Squashfs CVS (http://sourceforge.net/projects/squashfs/develop).

Any reason for not using much nicer xz library instead of lzma sdk ?

http://tukaani.org/xz/

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz PLD/Linux Team
arekm / maven.pl http://ftp.pld-linux.org/