From: Greg KH on
On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 01:01:09PM +0000, Gunnar Gudvardarson wrote:
> This is the first linux kernel patch i have ever made, i don't even
> know the C programming language except reading the syntax (basic)

Then I would strongly encourage you to either learn it, or not modify
the code.

> It didn't compile on my machine due to invalid configuration of something
> on my machine, because i have not yet learned how to configure the compiler.

Especially as you were not able to build test the patch, which is a
basic requirement for submitting code changes.

Try reading the kernel file, Documentation/HOWTO for pointers on how to
find information to learn the C language, and to learn how to build a
kernel on your own.

best of luck,

greg k-h