From: Woody Suwalski on
Lee Jones wrote:
> Please find attached a patch which rectifies the following bug.
>
> When CUPS loads, it tries to load several drivers that it may need.
> When one of these drivers, specifically parport_pc is loaded on ARM
> based systems, it causes a segmentation fault as the address is not
> writable on non-PC based architectures. This code prevents this
> driver from being compiled on said architectures.
>
> Kind regards,
> Lee

Not exactly true. Netwinders based on Armc4l SA110 have implemeted
Parallel port hardware.
It can be used for PP-CDroms and (of course) printing.

I do not claim that the platform is of a great importance anymore, but
blanket statements to remove RTC or PPort or KBD from ARM are not correct...

Woody

From: Randy Dunlap on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:14:21 +0100 Lee Jones wrote:

> Please find attached a patch which rectifies the following bug.
>
> When CUPS loads, it tries to load several drivers that it may need.
> When one of these drivers, specifically parport_pc is loaded on ARM
> based systems, it causes a segmentation fault as the address is not
> writable on non-PC based architectures. This code prevents this
> driver from being compiled on said architectures.

Do you have any specific information on where the segfault occurs?

and please read <kernel-source-tree>/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
and possibly Documentation/email-clients.txt .

thanks,
---
~Randy