From: tedd on
At 2:59 PM +0100 8/12/10, Richard Quadling wrote:
> [...]

Richard:

That would work (and does work) for storing things like passwords. I
have routines where users logon and enters their password where I
md5() it and store the hash in a database. The next time the user
logs on, the script again runs the password through the md5() and
compares results with the database. If there is a match, then access
is provided. If not, then it fails. All of this without me (the
database) knowing what the password actually was.

However in this case, the authorized users of database must be able
to see the actual SS# for their processing. Seeing a md(), or any
other hash, would not serve the purpose of having the numbers in the
database.

Cheers,

tedd

--