From: Charles Marcus on
On 9/28/2009 7:19 AM, Noel Jones wrote:
>> For some reason, if a local user sends mail to another local user who

> If your client doesn't notify you that the mail can't be delivered, it's
> a client configuration problem.

It sounds to me like this postfix instance *is* the client... or, it is
the server that is both sending and receiving (note the 'local'
reference above) the mail.

Although, his log didn't show the sending part, nor did he provide
postconf -n output, so maybe his description was wrong...

--

Best regards,

Charles
From: Russell Jones on
Actually that's all the logs show when sending to a non-existent address
that resides on the same physical server, but I got it figured it.

Believe it or not, it was actually my AVG antivirus. It turns out that
when scanning outgoing mail, by default AVG will use its own "Auto SMTP
server". For some reason it was preventing my client from receiving the
errors. When disabling this "auto smtp server", the popups regarding
invalid user is received properly by Thunderbird and Windows Mail.

Go figure.
From: Noel Jones on
On 9/28/2009 9:40 AM, Russell Jones wrote:
> Actually that's all the logs show when sending to a non-existent address
> that resides on the same physical server, but I got it figured it.
>
> Believe it or not, it was actually my AVG antivirus. It turns out that
> when scanning outgoing mail, by default AVG will use its own "Auto SMTP
> server". For some reason it was preventing my client from receiving the
> errors. When disabling this "auto smtp server", the popups regarding
> invalid user is received properly by Thunderbird and Windows Mail.
>
> Go figure.

Windows antivirus products have a rich history of breaking
SMTP in non-obvious ways, although I don't remember this
particular symptom coming up before. I should have suggested
disabling your windows AV for testing - my bad.

Thanks for sharing the solution for anyone reading the archives.

-- Noel Jones
From: mouss on
Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 9/28/2009 7:19 AM, Noel Jones wrote:
>>> For some reason, if a local user sends mail to another local user who
>
>> If your client doesn't notify you that the mail can't be delivered, it's
>> a client configuration problem.
>
> It sounds to me like this postfix instance *is* the client... or, it is
> the server that is both sending and receiving (note the 'local'
> reference above) the mail.

you're confused. postfix is not a client here. postfix, as a server,
rejected the message. the client, which connected to postfix, is
responsible of propagating the error.

From: mouss on
Russell Jones wrote:
> Actually that's all the logs show when sending to a non-existent address
> that resides on the same physical server, but I got it figured it.
>
> Believe it or not, it was actually my AVG antivirus. It turns out that
> when scanning outgoing mail, by default AVG will use its own "Auto SMTP
> server". For some reason it was preventing my client from receiving the
> errors. When disabling this "auto smtp server", the popups regarding
> invalid user is received properly by Thunderbird and Windows Mail.
>
> Go figure.

yeah....

just to "enrich the knowledge base", what Av was this?