From: wasted on
Hi I just updated MBAM and did a full scan and it found 18 hits of folders
and files that it calls Rogue.XLG, and one Registry data item

The files and folders are all subfolders of one particular folder that I
created in my Start Menu Called "Protection". In there I have all the
shortcuts to my anti-virus and anti-spyware programmes and the hits include
ALL those folders and the actual shortcut links - including MBAM itself.
There are no executable files in there, just shortcut links.

I find it hard to believe that these are real alerts - do you think I can
ignore them?

The registry item is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES\EXPLORER\NOACTIVEDESKTOPCHANGES
Bad (1) Good (0)

Can someone please explain what this is and if I should delete it.

Many thanks

From: Andy Walker on
wasted wrote:

>Hi I just updated MBAM and did a full scan and it found 18 hits of folders
>and files that it calls Rogue.XLG, and one Registry data item
>
>The files and folders are all subfolders of one particular folder that I
>created in my Start Menu Called "Protection". In there I have all the
>shortcuts to my anti-virus and anti-spyware programmes and the hits include
>ALL those folders and the actual shortcut links - including MBAM itself.
>There are no executable files in there, just shortcut links.
>
>I find it hard to believe that these are real alerts - do you think I can
>ignore them?
>

>The registry item is
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES\EXPLORER\NOACTIVEDESKTOPCHANGES
>Bad (1) Good (0)
>
>Can someone please explain what this is and if I should delete it.
>

>Many thanks

The HKLM\...\NoActiveDesktopChanges registry key above determines
whether or not the users of the machine have the ability to change
their active desktop configuration. There are a large number of
trojans and malware that change that registry entry to "1" in order to
prevent users from removing the displayed content within the active
desktop. You can also set this to 1 to prevent users from changing
their wallpaper, for instance. It is not necessarily an indication
that you are compromised, but by default users are allowed to change
their active desktop settings. The Malwarebytes program flagged the
registry entry because it is more often than not an indication that
malware may be present. If you are comfortable with the appearance
and functioning of your Windows desktop, and don't plan on allowing
other users to change the desktop settings, then leave the registry
entry set to 1, otherwise set it to zero or allow Malwarebytes to do
it for you.
From: wasted on

"Andy Walker" <awalker(a)nspank.invalid> wrote in message
> wasted wrote:
>
>>Hi I just updated MBAM and did a full scan and it found 18 hits of
>>folders
>>and files that it calls Rogue.XLG, and one Registry data item
>>
>>The files and folders are all subfolders of one particular folder that I
>>created in my Start Menu Called "Protection". In there I have all the
>>shortcuts to my anti-virus and anti-spyware programmes and the hits
>>include
>>ALL those folders and the actual shortcut links - including MBAM itself.
>>There are no executable files in there, just shortcut links.
>>
>>I find it hard to believe that these are real alerts - do you think I can
>>ignore them?
>>

>>The registry item is
>>
>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES\EXPLORER\NOACTIVEDESKTOPCHANGES
>>Bad (1) Good (0)
>>
>>Can someone please explain what this is and if I should delete it.
>>

>>Many thanks
>
> The HKLM\...\NoActiveDesktopChanges registry key above determines
> whether or not the users of the machine have the ability to change
> their active desktop configuration. There are a large number of
> trojans and malware that change that registry entry to "1" in order to
> prevent users from removing the displayed content within the active
> desktop. You can also set this to 1 to prevent users from changing
> their wallpaper, for instance. It is not necessarily an indication
> that you are compromised, but by default users are allowed to change
> their active desktop settings. The Malwarebytes program flagged the
> registry entry because it is more often than not an indication that
> malware may be present. If you are comfortable with the appearance
> and functioning of your Windows desktop, and don't plan on allowing
> other users to change the desktop settings, then leave the registry
> entry set to 1, otherwise set it to zero or allow Malwarebytes to do
> it for you.
Thanks for the reply - I'm the only user, so unless other scanners suggest
otherwise, on the basis of what you describe I will leave the setting as it
is.

From: wasted on

"wasted" <rubbish(a)xxnone.notreal.com> wrote in message
> Hi I just updated MBAM and did a full scan and it found 18 hits of
> folders and files that it calls Rogue.XLG, and one Registry data item
>
> The files and folders are all subfolders of one particular folder that I
> created in my Start Menu Called "Protection". In there I have all the
> shortcuts to my anti-virus and anti-spyware programmes and the hits
> include ALL those folders and the actual shortcut links - including MBAM
> itself. There are no executable files in there, just shortcut links.
>
> I find it hard to believe that these are real alerts - do you think I can
> ignore them?
>

> The registry item is
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES\EXPLORER\NOACTIVEDESKTOPCHANGES
> Bad (1) Good (0)
>
> Can someone please explain what this is and if I should delete it.
>

> Many thanks
Just discovered from a sequence of Googling that a folder named as
"Protection" is created by some malware or other, which is why it is
flagged. Renaming my folder has stopped it being flagged.

From: Dustin Cook on

> "wasted" <rubbish(a)xxnone.notreal.com> wrote in message
>> Hi I just updated MBAM and did a full scan and it found 18 hits of
>> folders and files that it calls Rogue.XLG, and one Registry data
>> item
>>
>> The files and folders are all subfolders of one particular folder
>> that I created in my Start Menu Called "Protection". In there I have
>> all the shortcuts to my anti-virus and anti-spyware programmes and
>> the hits include ALL those folders and the actual shortcut links -
>> including MBAM itself. There are no executable files in there, just
>> shortcut links.
>>
>> I find it hard to believe that these are real alerts - do you think I
>> can ignore them?
>>

>> The registry item is
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES\
>> EXPLORER\NOACTIVEDESKTOPCHANGES Bad (1) Good (0)
>>
>> Can someone please explain what this is and if I should delete it.
>>

>> Many thanks
> Just discovered from a sequence of Googling that a folder named as
> "Protection" is created by some malware or other, which is why it is
> flagged. Renaming my folder has stopped it being flagged.

It has to do with hueristics... MBAM has a complicated collection of
them.

--
Regards,
Dustin Cook