From: Neil W on
Are there any utilities or scripts that will exercise SQL? I know that SQLIO
will simulated SQL IO, but I am looking for something that will do a stress
test of SQL on a real database. Thanks.

From: John Bell on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:02:55 -0400, "Neil W" <neilw(a)netlib.com> wrote:

>Are there any utilities or scripts that will exercise SQL? I know that SQLIO
>will simulated SQL IO, but I am looking for something that will do a stress
>test of SQL on a real database. Thanks.

This is a rather vague requirement! If you have an application that
you wish to test end to end, then there are some pretty expensive
tools like LoadRunner or Rational Performance Tester. A cheaper option
is Visual Studio Team System which can be used for web apps or
replaying unit tests that may also do the job.

Other options would be to use the replay facilities in SQL Profiler or
the RML utilities
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7EDFA95A-A32F-440F-A3A8-5160C8DBE926&displaylang=en

You could also just rumn scripts through SQLCMD and there are also
utilities on codeplax which may help you run these.

John