From: David McGlone on
Is there a good strategy to studying PHP?

For instance, is there a way to break everything down into small managable
topics?

--
Blessings,
David M.

From: Peter Lind on
On 23 April 2010 13:15, David McGlone <david(a)dmcentral.net> wrote:
> Is there a good strategy to studying PHP?
>
> For instance, is there a way to break everything down into small managable
> topics?

The Zend study guide might be a place to start - not for free thought,
so there may be better options (it's also directed at getting Zend
certified, so it's covering the stuff you need to know for that, not
connected things).

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 07:15 -0400, David McGlone wrote:

> Is there a good strategy to studying PHP?
>
> For instance, is there a way to break everything down into small managable
> topics?
>
> --
> Blessings,
> David M.

I started the way I guess most people did: from a basic book which broke
things up as it saw best. Obviously some books are better than others; I
won't mention any here as there are quite a few threads about good PHP
books.

>From there, I just looked into what I thought I needed to know as I came
across it. It's a bit haphazard, but it did the trick.

Mostly though, I think if you find a good book, that should break things
down well enough that anyone can pick it up and follow along. You don't
have to follow a book linearly though, I found myself often focusing in
more depth into something a book only mentioned briefly because it
either sounded interesting or I needed to know more for a project.

Bit of a ramble there, but maybe it'll help?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Michiel Sikma on
On 23 April 2010 13:15, David McGlone <david(a)dmcentral.net> wrote:

> Is there a good strategy to studying PHP?
>
> For instance, is there a way to break everything down into small managable
> topics?
>
> --
> Blessings,
> David M.

Just build what you want to build and look things up when necessary. The
biggest part of learning any language is becoming able to creatively solve
problems within its realm of possibilities, and that's something you can't
really learn just by reading and solving textbook problems. Hands-on
experience is a very important key to understanding.

Keep an open mind, ask people for answers if things get difficult, always
assume that there's a better way to do something, and in a while you'll be
able to write perfectly decent programs.

Michiel
From: Jay Ess on
David McGlone wrote:
> Is there a good strategy to studying PHP?
>
> For instance, is there a way to break everything down into small managable
> topics?

My way of learning a new language is to decide on a small project to
code and then learn just that i need to do for that exact feature i
implement.
That works best if you already has some knowledge in computer
programming. And when i have grasped sufficiently i can dig into texts
on the net for deeper understanding of the language.