From: Bob E. on
A friend is having a new roof put on his his 50-year-old, flat-roof home.
This provides access to all kinds of new wiring possibilities for the
structure.

He wants to do 2xCAT6 and 2xRG-6 throughout. I'm not sure what to recommend
re. fiber optic.

Is it too soon to know how this will be an advantage to existing homes?

I hear there are several FO standards (62.5 micron, 50 micron). Is there
strong competition, or is one the clear favorite into the future?

What should I recommend?

Thanks.

From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:03:51 -0700, Bob E. <bespoke(a)invalid.tv> wrote:

>A friend is having a new roof put on his his 50-year-old, flat-roof home.
>This provides access to all kinds of new wiring possibilities for the
>structure.
>
>He wants to do 2xCAT6 and 2xRG-6 throughout. I'm not sure what to recommend
>re. fiber optic.
>
>Is it too soon to know how this will be an advantage to existing homes?
>
>I hear there are several FO standards (62.5 micron, 50 micron). Is there
>strong competition, or is one the clear favorite into the future?
>
>What should I recommend?
>
>Thanks.

How about some big conduit and some fish lines, so anything can be
added later?

John

From: tm on

"John Larkin" <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:03:51 -0700, Bob E. <bespoke(a)invalid.tv> wrote:
>
>>A friend is having a new roof put on his his 50-year-old, flat-roof home.
>>This provides access to all kinds of new wiring possibilities for the
>>structure.
>>
>>He wants to do 2xCAT6 and 2xRG-6 throughout. I'm not sure what to
>>recommend
>>re. fiber optic.
>>
>>Is it too soon to know how this will be an advantage to existing homes?
>>
>>I hear there are several FO standards (62.5 micron, 50 micron). Is there
>>strong competition, or is one the clear favorite into the future?
>>
>>What should I recommend?
>>
>>Thanks.
>
> How about some big conduit and some fish lines, so anything can be
> added later?
>
> John

If you are going to run fiber, use single mode. The optics are getting
cheaper and
at some point will displace MM fiber entirely.

tm

From: Bob E. on
> How about some big conduit and some fish lines, so anything can be
> added later?
>
> John

Hadn't thought of that. It's a great idea.

Thanks!

From: James Sweet on
Bob E. wrote:
>> How about some big conduit and some fish lines, so anything can be
>> added later?
>>
>> John
>
> Hadn't thought of that. It's a great idea.
>
> Thanks!

Second that. Fiber has been around for decades and never really caught
on for internal communications. It's great for moving lots of data over
really long distance, but within a building there is just not much
advantage over copper and a lot of disadvantages.