From: Teemu Likonen on
* 2010-04-11 00:55 (-0700), Harry wrote:

> I tried the easier way, didn't work:
>
> $ LC_ALL=POSIX echo "Abby" | egrep '^[A-Z]+$'
> Abby

If you want that variable to be effective with the egrep command you
must write it this way:

$ echo "Abby" | LC_ALL=POSIX egrep '^[A-Z]+$'

But neither of these commands actually print anything in my Debian 5.0
system. Something is configured differently in our systems.
From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.unix.shell, Harry <simonsharry(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 11, 12:08=A0pm, Sidney Lambe <sidneyla...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> $echo Abby | egrep -v '[a-z]+'
>> $echo ABBY | egrep -v '[a-z]+'
>> ABBY
>
> Both fail to match on my system. I get an exit code of 1.

Then there's something wrong with your system.
Which is not surprising considering how ignorant of Linux you are.

> Secondly, the above regex would match pure numbers also! As I said, I
> was looking to match only (and only) upper-case words.

The fix for that is pathetically obvious.

Not a word of thanks for the effort.

<plonk>

I'll bet I've killfiled a score of your aliases already.

I have most common first names killfiled. Missed "harry".
Thanks. This way I eliminate every stinking troll using
the name.

Sid

From: Harry on
On Apr 11, 1:17 pm, Sidney Lambe <sidneyla...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Then there's something wrong with your system.
> Which is not surprising considering how ignorant of Linux you are.
> The fix for that is pathetically obvious.

Never mind, I'll figure out.

> Not a word of thanks for the effort.

I already said "many thanks *in advance*" once in the original post. I
thought, I would do so once again toward the end of the discussion...
once the issue is (hopefully) fully resolved... with possibly multiple
answers... all tried out and fully grokked.

> I'll bet I've killfiled a score of your aliases already.
>
> I have most common first names killfiled. Missed "harry".
> Thanks. This way I eliminate every stinking troll using
> the name.

???
From: Huibert Bol on
Harry wrote:

> I tried the easier way, didn't work:
>
> $ LC_ALL=POSIX echo "Abby" | egrep '^[A-Z]+$'
> Abby

You need to add that setting to the right command (egrep in this case).

$ echo "Abby" | LC_ALL=POSIX egrep '^[A-Z]+$'
$ echo "ABBY" | LC_ALL=POSIX egrep '^[A-Z]+$'
ABBY

The advantage of using character classes is that it will work not just
with the ASCII subset, but with any uppercase character.

$ echo "CAFÉ" | LC_ALL=POSIX egrep '^[A-Z]+$'
$ echo "CAFÉ" | egrep '^[[:upper:]]+$'
CAFÉ

HTH

--
Huibert
"Okay... really not something I needed to see." --Raven
From: Harry on
On Apr 11, 1:40 pm, Huibert Bol <huibert....(a)quicknet.nl> wrote:
> You need to add that setting to the right command (egrep in this case).
> The advantage of using character classes is that it will work not just
> with the ASCII subset, but with any uppercase character.

Hey thanks, Huibert, appreciate it!