From: BillW50 on
Found this this link on the Dell newsgroup (thanks RnR). My laptops
seems to last forever. And the oldest is from '84. And the only one that
failed on me was from '94. Also nice to hear that Toshiba and Asus are
still the leaders of reliability.

http://austin.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2009/11/16/daily22.html

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2
From: AJL on
BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>Found this this link on the Dell newsgroup (thanks RnR).
>http://austin.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2009/11/16/daily22.html

It says that 1/3 of those failures are from accidents. It seems odd
that they would include accidents in a laptop failure statistic. I
would think that accidents should be listed under a human failure
statistic...
From: Bert Hyman on
In news:8ehth5hfmguecsdpe2gkpgm36h81q214lq(a)4ax.com AJL
<339(a)fakeaddress.com> wrote:

> BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>
>>Found this this link on the Dell newsgroup (thanks RnR).
>>http://austin.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2009/11/16/daily22.h
>>tml
>
> It says that 1/3 of those failures are from accidents. It seems odd
> that they would include accidents in a laptop failure statistic. I
> would think that accidents should be listed under a human failure
> statistic...

Since laptops get carried around and generally exposed to all sorts of
external perils, I'd think that an accounting of accidents would be
valid.

In fact, when I read the initial post, I was thinking that the reason my
own laptops last so long is that they rarely leave the house.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: BillW50 on
On 12/8/2009 3:42 PM, Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:8ehth5hfmguecsdpe2gkpgm36h81q214lq(a)4ax.com AJL
> <339(a)fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>
>> BillW50<BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>>
>>> Found this this link on the Dell newsgroup (thanks RnR).
>>> http://austin.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2009/11/16/daily22.h
>>> tml
>>
>> It says that 1/3 of those failures are from accidents. It seems odd
>> that they would include accidents in a laptop failure statistic. I
>> would think that accidents should be listed under a human failure
>> statistic...
>
> Since laptops get carried around and generally exposed to all sorts of
> external perils, I'd think that an accounting of accidents would be
> valid.
>
> In fact, when I read the initial post, I was thinking that the reason my
> own laptops last so long is that they rarely leave the house.

I believe you are correct Bert.

From: BillW50 on
On 12/8/2009 4:45 PM, Ian D wrote:
> The November Consumer Reports also had a laptop reliability
> analysis. Apple was #1 and HP was in the middle of the pack.

My online Consumer Reports says differently. Strange, eh?

Laptop computers Reliability 2005-2009
Repairs and Serious Problems
----------------------------
Toshiba 16%