From: Bill Mudry on
Some of you may recall my request for information on appending
information from one
table to another with the difficult part being not introducing new
duplicate records.
I want to thank those that helped, especially Neil and Tyrael.

I had to first manually delete with care around 1,600 duplicate and
triplicate lines out of an initial
6,550 records. I would have lost a lot of data using any script. Once
that was done, I was ready
to try a script suggested by Tyrael. The source for the new data (the
Tervuren file) had about
11,300 records with no duplicate lines. The destination 'species"
file sans duplicates now
came in at 4947 records.

After adjusting names and parameters, I ran the script --- and was
absolutely enthralled that
it worked perfectly. I was also amazed that it took only 0.563
seconds to go through such a
large collection of names when I though it would take a few minutes!
Now my TAXA Wood
Knowledge website is reporting a much burgeoned 14,117 wood species
names :-) :-)
As I had hoped and predicted, this has been a major successful
advancement in the
project. Much Thanks!

There is one last fact worth sharing ;-) . Because I now have an
algorithm and typical script
that worked, I have numerous other data lists that later can be
processed one by one to
grow this total of wood names even much more. It has been a few years
that I have looked to
having a software tool to do this.

Bill Mudry