From: sl on
I have 3 computers, two PCs and one laptop, connected to a desktop 5-port
switch.

There is a SMC router connected (with wireless) to a broadband modem. All
laptops within range can connect to SMC via wireless.

As for me, I am thinking of the best method of providing internet access to
my 3 computers.

Considered:

(1) Wireless bridege
I think this option is out because the SMC router is not set to bridge mode.

(2) Individual wireless device for 2 PCs (sigh, I am trying to avoid this).

(3) Passthrough internet connection, ie get 1 PC to have a wireless device
and let the other two computer to share the wireless connection (not too
sure on this).

Any other better method ? Thanks.

From: sl on
Please note, a cable connection between my desktop switch and SMC is out.

Thanks.

From: Mark Hobley on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 11:47:37 -0700, sl(a)exabyte wrote:

> Please note, a cable connection between my desktop switch and SMC is
> out.

Could you not relocate the router so that it can be connected to the
switch?

Because the computers are within the range of the wireless networking of
the router, you could just configure the computers to use the router
directly over wireless.

Alternatively you could replace the switch with one that has a wireless
bridge.

Or, you could get rid of the broadband router, and replace the switch
with a wireless broadband router and a mobile broadband dongle.

(I use an Edimax 3G-6200n. This gives me 4 ethernet ports, wireless
networking and mobile broadband. You will need a compatible mobile
broadband dongle.)

--
/local/home/mark/.Signature

From: SL on

"Mark Hobley" <markhobley(a)yahoo.donottypethisbit.co> wrote in message
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 11:47:37 -0700, sl(a)exabyte wrote:
>

> Could you not relocate the router so that it can be connected to the
> switch?
>
> Because the computers are within the range of the wireless networking of
> the router, you could just configure the computers to use the router
> directly over wireless.

Actually my computers are out of range, but boss says an access point will
be fixed near my place (my office is pretty long).

Probably this is irrelevant once the access point is set up.

> Alternatively you could replace the switch with one that has a wireless
> bridge.

I have considered this, but I think this will not work because the SMC
router is not set to bridge mode. My understanding is
that there should be a pair of bridges, ie I can set up a bridge on my
desktop but the SMC is not in bridge mode.

In other words, the wireless is for bridging only, all others will access
internet through LAN. Correct me.

> Or, you could get rid of the broadband router, and replace the switch
> with a wireless broadband router and a mobile broadband dongle.

I am afraid this is not likely, because there could be 10 to 20 people who
would access internet through their wireless connection.

I have a large office, in the future there could be more people using
wireless to access internet, since boss thinks that putting LAN cables
are too expensive.