From: SIRSTEVE on
Here are the fields in my spread sheet.

Date
Name
Request Received
Start Time
Finish Time
Total Time

Here's an example of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Let's say I need to see how much time John has spent doing research mail.
I turn on the auto filter feature so that I can select only information
pertaining to John. Ok. Question, how can I create a summary that will give
me a total at the end of the report of how much time John has spent?
From: Ron de Bruin on
See the help for the subtotal worksheet function

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

From: JLGWhiz on
If columns are like:

A B C D E F
4/15 John --- --- --- 2

= SumIf(B2:B100, "John", F2:F100)

This would give you a total of John's hours. The range size is for
illustaration only. You could adjust it for the actual size.

From: Bernard Liengme on
I should have added: you do not need to filter when using the SUMPRODUCT
formula or pivot tables
Bernard

From: Bernard Liengme on
I am going to assume that your fields are in column A (date) thru F (total
time)
That row 1 has labels and rows 2 to 200 have your data
In K1:M1 enter headers: Name, Request, Time
In K2 type the name to be found, e.g. John
In L2 type the request: e.g. Research Mail
In M2 enter this formula
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200=K2),--(C2:C200=L2), F2:F200)
For more details on SUMPRODUCT
Bob Phillips
J.E McGimpsey
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html
Debra Dalgleish
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions04.html#SumProduct

If you need a better approach take a big breath and learn about Pivot
Tables. A bit scary at first but well worth the effort it you have may
reports like this. Here is where to start:
Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm

And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP