From: Richard Outerbridge on
In article <87ws17gl4r.fsf(a)bazspaz.fatphil.org>,
Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Richard Outerbridge <outer(a)interlog.com> writes:
> > In article <87k4x8ib3a.fsf(a)bazspaz.fatphil.org>,
> > Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > >
> > > Any reason you're avoiding <stdint.h>?
> >
> > Scope creep? That's probably the better way to go.
>
> I view the probability of that to be less than a half. Your opinion
> may differ. There's nothing big or clever about insisting on being a
> dinosaur a decade after the standard incorporated the feature that
> simplifies the task in hand.

That's really what I was trying to say: using <stdint.h> is probably
the better way to go. I'll admit to being a small, ignorant dinosaur.

I will, however, suggest that avoiding scope creep is almost always a
good idea.

Richard
From: Phil Carmody on
Richard Outerbridge <outer(a)interlog.com> writes:
> Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Richard Outerbridge <outer(a)interlog.com> writes:

> > > Scope creep? That's probably the better way to go.
> >
> > I view the probability of that to be less than a half. Your opinion
> > may differ. There's nothing big or clever about insisting on being a
> > dinosaur a decade after the standard incorporated the feature that
> > simplifies the task in hand.
>
> That's really what I was trying to say: using <stdint.h> is probably
> the better way to go.

Ah, in retrospect you did. In the absense of a verb, I extrapolated
an 'avoiding' as a prefix to your noun phrase and by so doing changed
its parity.

> I'll admit to being a small, ignorant dinosaur.

There may be some who delight in dinosaurism, but many are just
too shy to break their prior mould, lest they appear clumsy in
their first few uses.

> I will, however, suggest that avoiding scope creep is almost always a
> good idea.

I think any feature which can be implemented as a prior-standard
compliant header file with sufficient insider knowledge of the
implmentation barely counts as that. (So if a C90 implementation
didn't support it, you could 'upgrade' it by a simple #include.)
stdint.h is one of those feature sets, IMHO.

Phil
--
Any true emperor never needs to wear clothes. -- Devany on r.a.s.f1