From: N_Cook on
What a plonker. Now it is knocking out 48V DC, its function is obvious. It
would have been much more obvious if it was not at the edge of the board
with the L missing off the overlay designation ED201, and a more obvious
window in the casing.

From: Adrian C on
On 06/08/2010 17:16, N_Cook wrote:
> What a plonker. Now it is knocking out 48V DC, its function is obvious. It
> would have been much more obvious if it was not at the edge of the board
> with the L missing off the overlay designation ED201, and a more obvious
> window in the casing.

A photon gap then?

:-)

--
Adrian C
From: N_Cook on
Adrian C <email(a)here.invalid> wrote in message
> On 06/08/2010 17:16, N_Cook wrote:
> > What a plonker. Now it is knocking out 48V DC, its function is obvious.
It
> > would have been much more obvious if it was not at the edge of the board
> > with the L missing off the overlay designation ED201, and a more obvious
> > window in the casing.
>
> A photon gap then?
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Adrian C

I did discover that there are such things as SM gas discharge
tubes/arresters

From: Robert Macy on
On Aug 7, 12:37 am, "N_Cook" <dive...(a)tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> Adrian C <em...(a)here.invalid> wrote in message

> > On 06/08/2010 17:16, N_Cook wrote:
> > > What a plonker. Now it is knocking out 48V DC, its function is obvious.
> It
> > > would have been much more obvious if it was not at the edge of the board
> > > with the L missing off the overlay designation ED201, and a more obvious
> > > window in the casing.
>
> > A photon gap then?
>
> > :-)
>
> > --
> > Adrian C
>
> I did discover that there are such things as SM gas discharge
> tubes/arresters

One time we used a series of gas tube spark gaps for protecting the
circuitry, but could not figure out why they weren't meeting spec and
firing closer to 400 V than over 600, until...some enlightened person
suggested that maybe it was because we stuck them inside a dark oil
tank and there was no light! yes, that was it. Later we noticed the
problem went away when the gas was somehow 'pretriggered'. and didn't
matter whether in light or dark. Radioactive isotope doping?