From: mike on

> <http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/metal_oxide_varistor_(mov).htm>
>
> David

Hi,

I've been following this thread, and I got to wondering are there any
accepted methods to tell if a surge arrestor setup is still usable as
such? I've got a couple industrial 3-phase units that I'd like to
hook up to protect my incoming power, and though they pass the sniff
test I haven't quite convinced myself to add them to the electrical
panel yet. I only have single phase (in the US), but figure that gives
me a spare module that would just be left disconnected.

Anyone have any recommendations or guidance to lend?

Thanks,
Mike
From: westom on
On Jun 20, 3:54 pm, mike <mlight...(a)survivormail.com> wrote:
> I've been following this thread, and I got to wondering are there any
> accepted methods to tell if asurgearrestor setup is still usable as
> such?

Assuming they are MOV based, read MOV datasheets to learn how MOVs
work and obtain relevenant numbers for the test. Perform a 1
milliamp test to confirm these numbers on that protector. This test
is described in some manufacturer application notes.

The test only confirms the protector can conduct. Does not say
anything about what makes a protector effective - the earth ground and
how it connects to earth. The best surge protection in the world can
be useless if grounding is not done properly.
From: GregS on
In article <4eab9a2b-92e3-45d3-9835-e37bd81c1b43(a)i28g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, westom <westom1(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jun 20, 3:54=A0pm, mike <mlight...(a)survivormail.com> wrote:
>> I've been following this thread, and I got to wondering are there any
>> accepted methods to tell if asurgearrestor setup is still usable as
>> such?
>
> Assuming they are MOV based, read MOV datasheets to learn how MOVs
>work and obtain relevenant numbers for the test. Perform a 1
>milliamp test to confirm these numbers on that protector. This test
>is described in some manufacturer application notes.
>
> The test only confirms the protector can conduct. Does not say
>anything about what makes a protector effective - the earth ground and
>how it connects to earth. The best surge protection in the world can
>be useless if grounding is not done properly.

IEEE 587 and UL 1449 Talks of 3-6KV and 500 amps typical
test produces eventual failure.

greg
From: mike on

westom wrote:

> Assuming they are MOV based, read MOV datasheets to learn how MOVs
> work and obtain relevenant numbers for the test. Perform a 1
> milliamp test to confirm these numbers on that protector. This test
> is described in some manufacturer application notes.

Been awhile since I looked inside, I'll have to open 'em back up and
see what numbers are on them (if any, I can't remember).

> The test only confirms the protector can conduct. Does not say
> anything about what makes a protector effective - the earth ground and
> how it connects to earth. The best surge protection in the world can
> be useless if grounding is not done properly.

Makes sense, I'll confirm that the service entrance ground is in good
condition, too.

Thanks,
Mike