From: Rupert on
At the end of Chapter 4 of "On Numbers and Games" Conway writes

"The reader mightbe tempted to suppose that the subRing of omnific
integers described in the next chapter was in a similar way a non-
standard Model for the ordinary integers. But of course this is not
so, since for instance x^2=2y^2 has many non-zero omnific integer
solutions. In fact deep logical theorems tell us that we could not
hope to find a non-standard model for Z in so simple a way."

I wonder which logical theorems Conway has in mind here.
From: Herman Jurjus on
On 8/10/2010 1:18 AM, Rupert wrote:
> At the end of Chapter 4 of "On Numbers and Games" Conway writes
>
> "The reader mightbe tempted to suppose that the subRing of omnific
> integers described in the next chapter was in a similar way a non-
> standard Model for the ordinary integers. But of course this is not
> so, since for instance x^2=2y^2 has many non-zero omnific integer
> solutions. In fact deep logical theorems tell us that we could not
> hope to find a non-standard model for Z in so simple a way."
>
> I wonder which logical theorems Conway has in mind here.

Tennenbaum's theorem?

--
Cheers,
Herman Jurjus

From: Rupert on
On Aug 10, 4:07 pm, Herman Jurjus <hjm...(a)hetnet.nl> wrote:
> On 8/10/2010 1:18 AM, Rupert wrote:
>
> > At the end of Chapter 4 of "On Numbers and Games" Conway writes
>
> > "The reader mightbe tempted to suppose that the subRing of omnific
> > integers described in the next chapter was in a similar way a non-
> > standard Model for the ordinary integers. But of course this is not
> > so, since for instance x^2=2y^2 has many non-zero omnific integer
> > solutions. In fact deep logical theorems tell us that we could not
> > hope to find a non-standard model for Z in so simple a way."
>
> > I wonder which logical theorems Conway has in mind here.
>
> Tennenbaum's theorem?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Herman Jurjus

It's not really clear to me how that would apply. The omnific integers
are a proper class and certainly do not constitute a recursive model.

I think I have figured it out. The field of quotients of the omnific
integers are a real-closed field. But the field of quotients of a
nonstandard model of the integers cannot be a real-closed field.
From: George Greene on
On Aug 10, 2:58 am, Rupert <rupertmccal...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think I have figured it out. The field of quotients of the omnific
> integers are a real-closed field. But the field of quotients of a
> nonstandard model of the integers cannot be a real-closed field.

What exactly is it about a non-standard model of the integers that
would make it non-standard?
Equivalently, what is the defining feature of the standard model?
What makes THAT model standard?
The other two canonical cases (PA and ZFC) are "extremal" in some
sense;
the standard model of PA is a submodel of the others and the standard/
intended
model of ZFC is the "biggest" (the one with "full" powersets).
I am guessing that a standard model of the integers would be standard
in something
more akin to the PA sense, but I really have no idea.

From: Aatu Koskensilta on
George Greene <greeneg(a)email.unc.edu> writes:

> What exactly is it about a non-standard model of the integers that
> would make it non-standard?

Not being isomorphic to the integers. As with the naturals we can
characterize the integers (up to isomorphism as usual) as the smallest
model of a certain formal theory.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta(a)uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, dar�ber muss man schweigen"