From: Jim Brain on
http://www.jbrain.com/2010/05/06/swimming-in-cables/

It appears I'm now the proud owner of 2600 custom manufactured IEC disk
drive cables. Yes, you read correctly. 2600 IEC cables, with 26 AWG
6-conductor wire, shield, and DIN 6 connectors with molded covers. I
know, it is insane, but it's prohibitively expensive to order custom
cables in smaller quantities, and it seemed like such cables were
becoming a bit scarce. Well, no more! :-)

The shipment of cables arrived this morning via eight 35 pound boxes.
The cables are of 2 lengths: 48" and 12". Most of the cables were
shipped here, but a box of 12" cables is enroute to Gideon Zweijtzer for
1541U-II orders. Thus, if you're a 1541U-II purchaser, hopefully this
means an IEC cable will be included in your order.

The 48" cable is already in the store, and I'll add the 12" option as
soon as I can.

If you're one of my friends in our neighboring country to the North and
you're interested in a 48" cable, I'd recommend checking JPPBM's store
out for a price check, as shipping from the US can be a bear.
Currently, Joe's not requesting 12" cables, but I have plenty. Thus, if
there is CA interest in 12" cables, I'd recommend soliciting Joe to buy
a batch for sale in his store.
From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hello Jim,

this is increadibly good news.

Jim Brain schrieb:
> http://www.jbrain.com/2010/05/06/swimming-in-cables/
>
> It appears I'm now the proud owner of 2600 custom manufactured IEC disk
> drive cables. Yes, you read correctly. 2600 IEC cables, with 26 AWG
> 6-conductor wire, shield, and DIN 6 connectors with molded covers. I

Could you detail out a bit how the DIN plugs are connected/soldered to
the cable? I assume that each cable wire is connected to a pin, but how
about shielding? Is the cable shield connected to the DIN plug shield
only, or is it also connected to one of the pins?

> The shipment of cables arrived this morning via eight 35 pound boxes.
> The cables are of 2 lengths: 48" and 12". Most of the cables were
> shipped here, but a box of 12" cables is enroute to Gideon Zweijtzer for
> 1541U-II orders. Thus, if you're a 1541U-II purchaser, hopefully this
> means an IEC cable will be included in your order.

Now that you mention Gideon. Once he ordered a batch of these well known
Audio/Video cables which also come with the 6pin DIN plugs.
Unfortunately from the cheap versions of that cable, shield is also
connected to one of the pins. And GND/shield is another pin for A/V
cables than for IEC bus cables.
If using such an A/V cable as IEC bus cable then shield is connected to
/ATN and this has some bad influence to certain cutting edge serial
floppy speeder systems. Gideon backed this hypothesis with own
measurements and he decided back then to not deliver that crappy cables
("crappy" only when used as IEC bus cables).

Womo
From: Jim Brain on
On 5/7/2010 5:28 PM, Wolfgang Moser wrote:
> Could you detail out a bit how the DIN plugs are connected/soldered to
> the cable? I assume that each cable wire is connected to a pin, but how
> about shielding? Is the cable shield connected to the DIN plug shield
> only, or is it also connected to one of the pins?

1-1
6-6
S-S (connected to DIN shield only)

> Now that you mention Gideon. Once he ordered a batch of these well known
> Audio/Video cables which also come with the 6pin DIN plugs.
> Unfortunately from the cheap versions of that cable, shield is also
> connected to one of the pins. And GND/shield is another pin for A/V
> cables than for IEC bus cables.
He told me about the cables, though not in detail (he said something
about 200 worthless cables).
> If using such an A/V cable as IEC bus cable then shield is connected to
> /ATN and this has some bad influence to certain cutting edge serial
> floppy speeder systems. Gideon backed this hypothesis with own
> measurements and he decided back then to not deliver that crappy cables
> ("crappy" only when used as IEC bus cables).
I think I saw the same cables, from an offshore source. But, I checked
the pinouts and decided the shield on ATN would be useless.

These cables were custom manufactured based on my specifications:

26AWG (6 strands) for signal lines
unjacketed 26AWG (6 strands) for shield
foil shield
shield wire spiral wrapped around foil
5.5mm outer jacket

The initial samples were 28AWG, but I decided to go 1 gauge larger.

Jim
From: Bill Garber on

"Jim Brain" <brain(a)jbrain.com> wrote in message
> On 5/7/2010 5:28 PM, Wolfgang Moser wrote:
>> Could you detail out a bit how the DIN plugs are connected/soldered to the cable? I assume that each cable wire is connected to a
>> pin, but how about shielding? Is the cable shield connected to the DIN plug shield only, or is it also connected to one of the
>> pins?
>
> 1-1 / ... / 6-6 / S-S (connected to DIN shield only)
>> Now that you mention Gideon. Once he ordered a batch of these well known Audio/Video cables which also come with the 6pin DIN
>> plugs. Unfortunately from the cheap versions of that cable, shield is also connected to one of the pins. And GND/shield is
>> another pin for A/V cables than for IEC bus cables.
>
> He told me about the cables, though not in detail (he said something about 200 worthless cables).
>> If using such an A/V cable as IEC bus cable then shield is connected to /ATN and this has some bad influence to certain cutting
>> edge serial floppy speeder systems. Gideon backed this hypothesis with own measurements and he decided back then to not deliver
>> that crappy cables ("crappy" only when used as IEC bus cables).
>
> I think I saw the same cables, from an offshore source. But, I checked the pinouts and decided the shield on ATN would be
> useless.
> These cables were custom manufactured based on my specifications:

Which you had said in your first post, if people would 'READ' them,
instead of 'SKIM' which seems to be an epidemic here in Usenet. 8^)

> 26AWG (6 strands) for signal lines / unjacketed 26AWG (6 strands) for shield foil shield / shield wire spiral wrapped around
> foil / 5.5mm outer jacket
> The initial samples were 28AWG, but I decided to go 1 gauge larger.
> Jim

And will these let you use your PC as a C64 hard drive?

Bill

From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hi Jim,

don't know if it's worth to discuss such an insignificant thing like
cable specifications, at least I find it interesting.

Jim Brain schrieb:
> On 5/7/2010 5:28 PM, Wolfgang Moser wrote:
>> Could you detail out a bit how the DIN plugs are connected/soldered to
>> the cable? I assume that each cable wire is connected to a pin, but how
>> about shielding? Is the cable shield connected to the DIN plug shield
>> only, or is it also connected to one of the pins?
>
> 1-1
> 6-6
> S-S (connected to DIN shield only)

Ok, so whatever you're using that cable for, it is independent from
proprietary shielding-to-pin mappings.

A while back there was a discussion about the IEC bus cable where I
proposed an overkill version of such a cable. It was a 7-wire cable with
additional shielding. One of the wires was connected with the shield
wires and connected to the shield of the DIN plug, only its shield and
no dedicated pin.

>> Now that you mention Gideon. Once he ordered a batch of these well known
>> Audio/Video cables which also come with the 6pin DIN plugs.
>> Unfortunately from the cheap versions of that cable, shield is also
>> connected to one of the pins. And GND/shield is another pin for A/V
>> cables than for IEC bus cables.
> He told me about the cables, though not in detail (he said something
> about 200 worthless cables).
>> If using such an A/V cable as IEC bus cable then shield is connected to
>> /ATN and this has some bad influence to certain cutting edge serial
>> floppy speeder systems. Gideon backed this hypothesis with own
>> measurements and he decided back then to not deliver that crappy cables
>> ("crappy" only when used as IEC bus cables).
> I think I saw the same cables, from an offshore source. But, I checked
> the pinouts and decided the shield on ATN would be useless.
>
> These cables were custom manufactured based on my specifications:
>
> 26AWG (6 strands) for signal lines
> unjacketed 26AWG (6 strands) for shield
> foil shield
> shield wire spiral wrapped around foil

This means the cables could become very long. My self-made IEC bus
cables are always shielded and I'm using a 2,50m long cable since 12
years now without having had a problem ever. Well, perhaps Joe Forster
had to relax some fine tuned hgih speed serial protocol speeders a bit
maybe.

> 5.5mm outer jacket
>
> The initial samples were 28AWG, but I decided to go 1 gauge larger.

Ok, from Wikipedia I now know that AWG means American Wire Gauge wich in
short describes the "size" of the wires. What was your main reason to go
one step up? Just getting a bigger cable for a "better feeling", or did
you want to reduce the cable's resistance (Ohm / m)?

Womo