From: JDJunkie on
I have a new HTC Desire arriving on Monday. I have 7 days to assess it
as being suitable for my needs.

One thing I need to be able to do is to sync with my Outlook 2003 on my
computer. I am not fussed about synching emails but want to sync my
contacts, calendar and to do list. I have been used to doing this with
my present phone as it is a pocket pc.

I have read on this newsgroup that I will be able to download an app for
this but I am having difficulty locating one.

Does anyone use their HTC Desire (or similar phone) in such a way and
can advise me please?

TIA

Liz
From: Todd Allcock on

"JDJunkie" <liz__jordanat(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a new HTC Desire arriving on Monday. I have 7 days to assess it as
>being suitable for my needs.
>
> One thing I need to be able to do is to sync with my Outlook 2003 on my
> computer. I am not fussed about synching emails but want to sync my
> contacts, calendar and to do list. I have been used to doing this with my
> present phone as it is a pocket pc.
>
> I have read on this newsgroup that I will be able to download an app for
> this but I am having difficulty locating one.
>
> Does anyone use their HTC Desire (or similar phone) in such a way and can
> advise me please?

This is a support newsgroup for Windows Mobile-based phones, and the Desire
is an Google Android-based phone.

Having said that...

Some Android-based phones include an app to sync with Outlook. If the
Desire doesn't, you can try CompanionLink, which, IIRC, just syncs your
local Outlook data with Google Calendar/GMail Contacts so they'll sync OTA
with the phone.

[I really hope this isn't the last post on this NG before it closes June
first! I'd hate for it go out with a whimper on an Android question!] ;)

From: JDJunkie on
Todd Allcock wrote:
> "JDJunkie" <liz__jordanat(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have a new HTC Desire arriving on Monday. I have 7 days to assess it as
>> being suitable for my needs.
>>
>> One thing I need to be able to do is to sync with my Outlook 2003 on my
>> computer. I am not fussed about synching emails but want to sync my
>> contacts, calendar and to do list. I have been used to doing this with my
>> present phone as it is a pocket pc.
>>
>> I have read on this newsgroup that I will be able to download an app for
>> this but I am having difficulty locating one.
>>
>> Does anyone use their HTC Desire (or similar phone) in such a way and can
>> advise me please?
>
> This is a support newsgroup for Windows Mobile-based phones, and the Desire
> is an Google Android-based phone.
>
> Having said that...
>
> Some Android-based phones include an app to sync with Outlook. If the
> Desire doesn't, you can try CompanionLink, which, IIRC, just syncs your
> local Outlook data with Google Calendar/GMail Contacts so they'll sync OTA
> with the phone.
>
> [I really hope this isn't the last post on this NG before it closes June
> first! I'd hate for it go out with a whimper on an Android question!] ;)

I am sure it won't be. There will probably be a flurry of posts just
before the deadline. Thanks for your help. I will investigate
CompanionLink. Cheers