From: spike1 on
And verily, didst David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@verizon.net> hastily babble thusly:
> From: <spike1(a)freenet.co.uk>
>
> | And verily, didst Karthik Balaguru <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com> hastily babble thusly:
>>> [Karthik Balaguru]
>>> So, does it imply that the virus scanners check for
>>> malicious system calls from malicious applications
>>> in Windows ? Are there any opensource implementation
>>> of those virus scanners that check for malicious
>>> system calls from certain applications in Windows ?
>
> | No, it means the virus scanners don't scan running processes.
> | They scan files on hard disk and in e-mails/other network related stuff that
> | are destined for transfer to windows based networks/machines... and then
> | quarantine anything that matches a virus profile.
>
> McAfee scans running processes.

McAfee wuns on linux now?

| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| in |good to you so far... |
From: David H. Lipman on
From: <spike1(a)freenet.co.uk>

http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/products/system_security/servers/linuxshield.html

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
"Karthik Balaguru" <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Mar 16, 5:09 pm, "FromTheRafters" <erra...(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:
> "Karthik Balaguru" <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> I think, REMUS(Kernel module for Linux) helps in identification of
> the incorrect parameters, access rights by interaction with the
> AccessControl Database managed by the sysctl command,
> but not sure if it would be help in identifying whether the system
> calls have been tweaked.
>
> ***
> It looks for suspicious activity regarding programs using legitimate
> calls in a suspicious (possibly malicious) manner. Some attack
> patterns
> are known to use certain combinations of calls, any program using that
> certain combination of calls will be suspect. The calls themselves are
> not malicious.
> Seehttp://www.pdf-tube.com/download/ebook/REMUS:%20A%20Security-Enhanced...
> ***

Yeah, i do find that malicious calls have different views.

From the REMUS document from the link provided by you
it seems that malicious calls also include -
- Illegal invocation of critical system calls that could
cause hijacking of control of any privileged process.
- In efficient check of the argument values of the system calls

The remus homepage link was actually breaking and
hence i was collecting information by searching in internet -
http://cesare.dsi.uniroma1.it/Sicurezza/doc/remus.pdf
Thx for providing the link. I will check it out.

[...]

***
It might be worth pondering that viruses, in particular, don't generally
need to exploit software flaws. REMUS seems to be a good enhancement for
the OS, but AV has (or had) a different goal.
***

From: Karthik Balaguru on
On Mar 17, 6:46 am, "FromTheRafters" <erra...(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:
> "Karthik Balaguru" <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Mar 16, 5:09 pm, "FromTheRafters" <erra...(a)nomail.afraid.org>
> wrote:
>

> > "Karthik Balaguru" <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I think, REMUS(Kernel module for Linux) helps in identification of
> > the incorrect parameters, access rights by interaction with the
> > AccessControl Database managed by the sysctl command,
> > but not sure if it would be help in identifying whether the system
> > calls have been tweaked.
>
> > ***
> > It looks for suspicious activity regarding programs using legitimate
> > calls in a suspicious (possibly malicious) manner. Some attack
> > patterns
> > are known to use certain combinations of calls, any program using that
> > certain combination of calls will be suspect. The calls themselves are
> > not malicious.
> > Seehttp://www.pdf-tube.com/download/ebook/REMUS:%20A%20Security-Enhanced...
> > ***
>
> Yeah, i do find that malicious calls have different views.
>
> From the REMUS document from the link provided by you
> it seems that malicious calls also include -
> - Illegal invocation of critical system calls that could
>   cause hijacking of control of any privileged process.
> - In efficient check of the argument values of the system calls
>
> The remus homepage link was actually breaking and
> hence i was collecting information by searching in internet -http://cesare.dsi.uniroma1.it/Sicurezza/doc/remus.pdf
> Thx for providing the link. I will check it out.
>
> [...]
>
> ***
> It might be worth pondering that viruses, in particular, don't generally
> need to exploit software flaws. REMUS seems to be a good enhancement for
> the OS, but AV has (or had) a different goal.
> ***

Interesting to know that generally viruses do not exploit this flaw.

Thx,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Karthik Balaguru on
On Mar 17, 2:10 am, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: <spi...(a)freenet.co.uk>
>
> >> McAfee scans running processes.
>
> | McAfee wuns on linux now?