From: Paul on
Paul wrote:
> Walter E. wrote:
>> System Restore in Win XP SP2 has become completely unresponsive. It
>> will not even open up the restore panel with the calendar that shows
>> any restore points.
>>
>> Would a "Repair Installation" fix this or should I re-install windows?
>> -
>> Walter
>> www.rationality.net
>
> In Administrative Tools : Services, I see a service listed for
> "System Restore Service". It is set to a Startup Type of Automatic,
> and on my machine, is currently running. What does yours look like ?
>
> For other hints, have a look at C:\WINDOWS\inf\sr.inf , which can be
> opened with a text editor. It'll show you what things are installed
> as part of System Restore. For example "rstrui.exe" is the thing
> that brings up the Calendar window. You can find rstrui.exe here.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\rstrui.exe
>
> Hmmm. Great. Mine is busted too! Running rstrui.exe is generating
> an error report to Microsoft, and a blank window which closes. Maybe
> the "Patch Tuesday" fix did this ? I only did that one yesterday.
> I think I'm going to try a reboot now, and see if it is still busted.
> There wasn't a reboot after Patch Tuesday update, so maybe that
> is the problem. I'm running SP3 too.
>
> Paul

The reboot didn't fix it. I set a new restore point, then tried
the calendar thing again, and it is working. Weird.

Paul
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Who are you and what did you do with Walter E?

From: Jose on
On Jul 16, 12:03 pm, "Walter E." <w...(a)example.com> wrote:
> System Restore in Win XP SP2 has become completely unresponsive.  It will
> not even open up the restore panel with the calendar that shows any restore
> points.
>
> Would a "Repair Installation" fix this or should I re-install windows?
> -
> Walterwww.rationality.net

System Restore is a frequent target for malicious software attacks.
If SR was working before and is now afflicted, run some scans and then
resolve any remaining
issues.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

When the scans run clean it may also be necessary to reregister some
DLLs to get your SR calendar working. Reregistering the DLLs is okay
even if they do not need reregistering. You can also reregister the
DLLs before the scans which may fix the issue, but the scans are still
recommended.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter the following commands one at a
time. Click the OK button to execute each command:

regsvr32 jscript
regsvr32 vbscript
regsvr32 /i mshtml

The last command for mshtml will load the DLL but may also contain a
harmless warning message depending on your environment.