From: MCM14 on
I am building a web service handler that implements:

System.Web.IHttpHandler

and

System.Web.SessionState.IRequiresSessionState

It works well, except for 1 problem with Session State. When the Session
mode is set to InProc, everything works correctly. When I change the Session
mode to StateServer, the Session becomes read-only. Session works in
StateServer mode throughout the rest of my application, but for some reason
it becomes read-only in the context of my handler.

Please let me know what is causing this.

From: Allen Chen [MSFT] on
Hi,

The common issue that may cause this behavior is you probably set
EnableSessionState to ReadOnly in web.config:
<pages enableSessionState="ReadOnly"></pages>

Please check it first. In InProc mode the ReadOnly setting may not have the
effect as you might thought so it appears to be "everything works
correctly". Please see the following FAQ for more details:

http://forums.asp.net/p/7504/7504.aspx:

Quote:

Q: I set EnableSessionState to "ReadOnly", but in InProc mode I can still
modify the session. Why is that?
A: Even those enableSessionState is marked as ReadOnly, but in InProc
state, the user can still modify the session. The only difference is that
the session will not be locked during the request. This limitation is
by-design. And I sorry that it�s not documented in MSDN.

If it still doesn't work could you send me a demo that can reproduce this
problem? My email is allenc(a)microsoft.com.Please update here after sending
the project in case I missed that email.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

msdnmg(a)microsoft.com.

From: Allen Chen [MSFT] on
Hi,

>It works well, except for 1 problem with Session State. When the Session
>mode is set to InProc, everything works correctly. When I change the
Session
>mode to StateServer, the Session becomes read-only. Session works in
>StateServer mode throughout the rest of my application, but for some
reason
>it becomes read-only in the context of my handler.

>Please let me know what is causing this.

Have you resolved this issue?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support