From: Mark F on
I am running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3, 1GB RAM,
EIDE system disk.

I find that my system hangs when a data disk has an error, temporary
or permanent, that requires extensive data recovery.

My system and usual data disks are motherboard EIDE ports.

The disks with errors are on a PCI SATA adapter.

In particular, I use disks for backups and I "burn-in" the new disks
by writing random data to them and then reading them. Typically there
are one or two errors during the write pass that cause the system to
hang for at least a minute. Sometimes there is a Event Viewer
Error Event ID: 9 message with Description:
"The device, \Device\Scsi\SI3114r1, did not respond within the timeout
period."
If I get the Event ID: 9 message there are also some Event ID: 51
Warning messages with description "An error was detected on device
\Device\HarddiskX\Y during a paging operation.
If I move the mouse
around or otherwise get impatient I can also some Event ID: 12,
Information, with description
"The ring buffer that stores incoming mouse data has overflowed
[buffer size is configurable via the PS/2 mouse properties in device
manager]."

My problem is not that there are errors on the disk, but rather that
the entire system seems to hang during the error recovery.

There also can be hangs that don't give any Event Viewer messages;
I assume that this is because although there was a problem on the
SATA disk under test, the problem was fixed in times noticeable by
a human, but not so long as to get a recordable timeout error.

Is there a way that I can change my system configuration so
only processes doing operations on the disk doing error recovery
are delayed? It doesn't seem right that the entire system hangs,
given that the system disk, which is the paging disk, are on a
motherboard adapter for a different interface (PATA, not SATA, in
this case.)

Alternatively, is there a way to reduce the timeout time so that
I can get more Event Viewer messages.

For completeness: The most recent disks that I have had the problem
were Seagate ST31500341AS drives various part numbers and firmware.
However, I don't think that the hang is due to the particular model
disk. I have had the problem with other model SATA drives from
Seagate and Western Digital.
From: Gerry on
Mark

Have a look in the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for
Errors and Warnings and post copies here. Don't post any more than 48
hours ago.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning
of the error, information regarding Event ID, Source and Description
are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event
Viewer.Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of
the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from
Event Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: juliusseizure on
sorry bout this but this site wont let me post new topic and "help" doesnt.
so im piggy backing on this post..do forgive. my pc v.often wont boot its
driving me nuts, the green light at the front of my pc"startup button"
flashes sometimes up to an hour before it stops and i can then press the
startup buttonand it boots no prob. any help gratefully appreciated.

From: Gerry on
Julius

Read this link so that you do not need to piggy back next time:
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales/help/help_en-us.htm#PostNewQuestion

What are your ant-virus and anti-spyware arrangements?

Are there any errors in Event Viewer? Have a look in the System and

From: juliusseizure on
soz ger. much appreciate ur reply but like i said "help" dont help every
time i hit "new" >"question" all i get is a bleep.will check out event viewer
tho tx