From: Ignoramus30064 on
We have a server with 12 processors (one of those things with two
physical processors with 6 cores each).

Ubuntu, by default, sees only 8 CPUs. (this applies to any version,
but this is specifically 8.04).

To enable more CPUs I have to enable "CONFIG_X86_BIGSMP" option in the
kernel and then set the maximum number of CPUs. I did so, by using
Ubuntu tools to get the 8.04 kernel, modify it, build a .deb package
etc, as described on the Ubuntu page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

When the kernel boots, if I boot without "quiet" and with "nosplash",
I get this:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/boot.jpg

After starting 12 CPUs, the kernel hangs.

I am not sure yet whether it is the CPUs that are to blame, or some
unspecified next step that fails.

So my first question is, how do I specify even more verbosity in the
kernel, beyond just removing "quiet".

My second question, a little bit of a long shot, is to ask if anyone
else had a similar issue.

Thanks
From: J G Miller on
On Friday, July 9th, 2010 at 13:27:35h -0500, Ignoramus30064 asked:

> My second question, a little bit of a long shot, is to ask if anyone
> else had a similar issue.

A bug in the version of the kernel used in Ubuntu 8.04 maybe ?????

<http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.ORG/showthread.php?p=7697510>
From: Ignoramus30064 on
On 2010-07-09, J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:
> On Friday, July 9th, 2010 at 13:27:35h -0500, Ignoramus30064 asked:
>
>> My second question, a little bit of a long shot, is to ask if anyone
>> else had a similar issue.
>
> A bug in the version of the kernel used in Ubuntu 8.04 maybe ?????
>
><http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.ORG/showthread.php?p=7697510>

I think that you are right. I took a different approach and compiled a
more recent kernel. Had some issues because I forgot to include the
disk driver for the RAID card that was in that computer, but all is
good now.

I will now ask a question as to what is the best kernel to use.

From: J G Miller on
On Friday, July 9th, 2010 at 14:17:24h -0500, Ignoramus30064 asked:

> I will now ask a question as to what is the best kernel to use.

Is there a reason you cannot upgrade the machine from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
to Ubuntu 9.04 LTS?

The best kernel to use (in the context of Ubuntu) would be the current
one for Ubuntu 9.04 LTS.
From: Ignoramus30064 on
On 2010-07-09, J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:
> On Friday, July 9th, 2010 at 14:17:24h -0500, Ignoramus30064 asked:
>
>> I will now ask a question as to what is the best kernel to use.
>
> Is there a reason you cannot upgrade the machine from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
> to Ubuntu 9.04 LTS?

You mean 10.04?

We have not yet started trying 10.04 in the server capacity.

I was thinking of starting to do so in September or so, which is what
we did with Hardy 2 years ago. Now that you say it, maybe I should
start earlier.

In any case, I do not want to pile up many changes at once.

> The best kernel to use (in the context of Ubuntu) would be the current
> one for Ubuntu 9.04 LTS.

10.04 LTS

I run 10.04 at home and on my laptop and it seems pretty good so
far. I did have some kernel related bugs occur, however, and would
like to wait a bit more before moving the prod environment.

Especially since Hardy is pretty damn stable at this point.