From: GlenM on
Apologies in advance if the answer is in the group someplace:

I have three (3) routers - one Cisco BEFSR41 , connected to an Apple
Airport, and a Cisco Wireless Bridge (WET54GS5).

What I would like to know is how could I set up a route from a machine
behind the WET54GS5 to be able to be seen by people *outside* my Cisco
BEFSR41.

Example

Internet-------------->BEFSR41-------->Apple Airport--------
>WET54GS5-----> Linux Machine

I am not a networking wizard so I figured I would toss this out there.
Not sure if port forwarding or subnets, or DMZ configurations are the
best way.

Anyone ever do anything like this? I was thinking that I would create
a virtual IP or vlan on the machine and add it to the same subnet as
the BEFSR41 and use the port forwarding function on the BEFSR41.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Glen
From: David Schwartz on
On Jun 11, 11:17 am, GlenM <glenmill...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> What I would like to know is how could I set up a route from a machine
> behind the WET54GS5 to be able to be seen by people *outside* my Cisco
> BEFSR41.

A route to what? And by people "outside", do you mean on the Internet?

It's not at all clear what it is you are trying to do.

DS
From: GlenM on
On Jun 11, 3:51 pm, David Schwartz <dav...(a)webmaster.com> wrote:
> On Jun 11, 11:17 am, GlenM <glenmill...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What I would like to know is how could I set up a route from a machine
> > behind the WET54GS5 to be able to be seen by people *outside* my Cisco
> > BEFSR41.
>
> A route to what? And by people "outside", do you mean on the Internet?
>
> It's not at all clear what it is you are trying to do.
>
> DS

Okay - sorry - sometimes I need to not talk the way that I think - or
vice-versa.

> A route to what? And by people "outside", do you mean on the Internet?
>
> It's not at all clear what it is you are trying to do.

Basically, this machine:

Internet<-------------->BEFSR41<-------->Apple Airport<--------
>WET54GS5<-----> Linux Machine

The 'Linux Machine' - I want to set up some sort of route, port-
forward, etc so that you can get to it from the Internet.
Apologies - sometimes I just can't connect my thoughts to my speech.

Glen
From: David Schwartz on
On Jun 11, 12:58 pm, GlenM <glenmill...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Basically, this machine:
>
> Internet<-------------->BEFSR41<-------->Apple Airport<--------
>
> >WET54GS5<-----> Linux Machine
>
> The 'Linux Machine' - I want to set up some sort of route, port-
> forward, etc so that you can get to it from the Internet.
> Apologies - sometimes I just can't connect my thoughts to my speech.

Okay, so what is each of these devices *doing*? For the ones that are
just routing, nothing special should be needed. (They should already
know how to reach both sides, right?) For the ones doing NAT, you need
to setup PAT or port forwarding.

So which of these routers are actually doing any NAT? Which of these
devices have public IP addresses?

DS
From: terryc on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:17:01 -0700, GlenM wrote:

> I am not a networking wizard so I figured I would toss this out there.
> Not sure if port forwarding or subnets, or DMZ configurations are the
> best way.

Generally one forwards the relevant port for the service that you are
running on the Apple Airport, e.g.
25 mail server receiving mail for your domain
80 web server serving web pages for your domain
110 pop

and hopes the application has adequate security to hand the break in
attempts.

If you are not doing something like the above, then you do not need to do
anything.

Read up on bastion hosts if you want to do anything else. I'm not keen on
creating an another exploitable box for botnet and spammers.