From: nospam on
Is there anyone that is locked into TDS as their ISP still using one of
their SMTP servers for a "smart host"? Since they "upgraded" (TDS'
term - not mine!) to gmail I have lost the the ability to use sendmail
using my TDS email address and password for authorization. I was
curious if TDS still had a SMTP server for that purpose available upon
request or the only solution would be to look for a third party service
with a fee. Thanks.

From: nospam on
In article <hnuq02$2rc$1(a)tncsrv01.tnetconsulting.net>,
gtaylor(a)riverviewtech.net says...
> nospam(a)notreal.com wrote:
> > Is there anyone that is locked into TDS as their ISP still using one of
> > their SMTP servers for a "smart host"? Since they "upgraded" (TDS'
> > term - not mine!) to gmail I have lost the the ability to use sendmail
> > using my TDS email address and password for authorization. I was
> > curious if TDS still had a SMTP server for that purpose available upon
> > request or the only solution would be to look for a third party service
> > with a fee. Thanks.
>
> Is there a reason you can't configure Sendmail to smart host through GMail?

You can configure your server as a smart host through gmail, BUT gmail
strips off the from address and uses the from address of the account
doing the authorizing i.e. userA(a)mydomian.com and userB(a)mydomain both
get changed to "from user(a)gmail.com" when it leaves the gmail server.

I think there is away around it now with gmail where you can tell gmail
that the mail will becoming from your smtp server with a particular
username and it won't change the from address but it means each time you
create a user(a)mydomain, you have to also create an alias on gmail. It
at least looks that way to me. It sure doesn't appear that it will work
like the old smtp.tds.net mail server.

> I've not tried this my self, but I believe that it is very similar to
> many other posts that I've seen.

I cannot be sure, but I think gmail initially did not change the from
address as it does today. I was able to smart host successfully but as
I said, it keeps changing the from address to the gmail account address.

If anyone has done this without having this name change problem, I would
love to hear about it.

Also, I am still interested if anyone is still using the TDS servers for
relay.