From: Victor Duchovni on
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 01:04:56PM -0500, Frank Cusack wrote:

> On January 12, 2010 12:24:20 PM -0500 Frank Cusack <fcusack(a)fcusack.com>
> wrote:
>> Apparently it only "honors" the first PTR record that getnameinfo()
>> returns to it. Additionally this appears to be a conscious decision
>> and in part designed to impose postfix's sense of order on the world.
>
> Well, I see part of the problem which is that if postfix does use
> getnameinfo(), it can only get 1 of the PTR records. The supposedly
> superior getnameinfo() can only return a single entry.
>
> On January 12, 2010 11:53:15 AM -0600 Robert Fournerat <robert(a)netin.com>
> wrote:
>> In this case at least, I think, "postfix's sense of order on the
>> world" is correct. Thank you Wietse (et al) for doing this.
>
> Thank you for making my life hell!
>
> Postfix's sense of order may be philosophically correct, but it is not
> consistent with the RFCs, so postfix is wrong. It is also counter
> to the well established design philosophy, be liberal in what you accept.

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED.

If you have a specific use case in which you need guidance to configure
Postfix, please start a new thread, without the polemics.

If you just want to vent, please do it somewhere else.

--
Viktor.

From: Frank Cusack on
On January 12, 2010 1:10:51 PM -0500 Victor Duchovni
<Victor.Duchovni(a)morganstanley.com> wrote:
> If you have a specific use case in which you need guidance to configure
> Postfix, please start a new thread, without the polemics.

That is why I stated originally, for my specific problem case I will be
writing in another thread. I am still collecting debug info so I haven't
sent that mail yet. Because I have to interact with another mailhost,
out of my control, it's slow going.

> If you just want to vent, please do it somewhere else.

Vent? Did you read my messages? I am not venting. I am asking a
legitimate question (to which I could not find previous resolution on)
and furthermore I resent your use of the words "polemics" and "vent"
in reference to my emails on the subject.

You are being dismissive which is totally unfair.

-frank