From: Ant on
On 3/8/2010 8:49 PM PT, Robert Redelmeier typed:

> If you want to diagnose further, you could try running a few dozen
copies of my
> `burnMMX P`. It is a bit old and not quite as high bandwidth as
> possible on newer processors. If there is no error, they should
> stay running indefinitely. Watch for terminations and/or dmesg.
>
> -- Robert author `cpuburn` http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm

I ran two "burnMMX P" (did not use nice -19) processes since I have a
dual core 939 CPU and no crashes and errors after 45.25 minutes. Before
I aborted both, I checked the temperatures which look OK for a 75
degrees(F) room:

$ sensors -f
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +71.2�F (crit = +206.2�F)

k8temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Core0 Temp: +129.2�F
Core1 Temp: +104.0�F
--
"It is said that the lonely eagle flies to the mountain peaks while the
lowly ant crawls the ground, but cannot the soul of the ant soar as high
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Ant on
On 3/8/2010 8:49 PM PT, Robert Redelmeier typed:

> `burnMMX P`. It is a bit old and not quite as high bandwidth as
> possible on newer processors. If there is no error, they should
> stay running indefinitely. Watch for terminations and/or dmesg.
> Run by `nice -19` should increase TLB transitions.

I hope I am doing this correctly for nice -19. I ran one "nice -19
../burnMMX p" command for over 25.5 minutes and no problems and errors.

$ sensors -f
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +71.2�F (crit = +206.2�F)

k8temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Core0 Temp: +122.0�F
Core1 Temp: +98.6�F

Or was I supposed to run two of them?
--
"I like ants, in chocolate. Crunch, hummmm." --unknown
/\___/\
From: Robert Redelmeier on
Ant <ant(a)zimage.comant> wrote in part:
> On 3/8/2010 8:49 PM PT, Robert Redelmeier typed:
>
> I ran two "burnMMX P" (did not use nice -19) processes
> since I have a dual core 939 CPU and no crashes and errors
> after 45.25 minutes. Before I aborted both, I checked the
> temperatures which look OK for a 75 degrees(F) room:
>
> $ sensors -f acpitz-virtual-0 Adapter: Virtual device temp1:
> +71.2�F (crit = +206.2�F)
>
> k8temp-pci-00c3 Adapter: PCI adapter Core0 Temp: +129.2�F
> Core1 Temp: +104.0�F

You must have good cooling. `burnMMX P` only exercises 64 MB
of RAM. You should run about _forty_ (40) of them. This also
eats up more TLB entries and more switching with nice -19 .

It won't run any hotter, (maybe slightly cooler with all the
task switching) but will exercise more of the TLB. At the
very least run 3 or 5 copies.

-- Robert author `cpuburn` http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm
From: Robert Redelmeier on
Ant <ant(a)zimage.comant> wrote in part:
> On 3/8/2010 8:49 PM PT, Robert Redelmeier typed:
>
>> As Yousef has mentioned, any PSU failure serious enough to
>> damage RAM could easily damage the CPU. Especially AMD with
>> the RAM controller and busses inside the CPU.
>
> Damn. Intel CPUs does better with this?

Not really. With an Intel CPU, the same spike would fry the
northbridge with RAM. It depends on whether you prefer to fry your
mobo or CPU. The CPU is easier to replace, but also often costs more.

> Thanks. I will try it when I don't need to use the box. You
> should update your program to support the newer processors. :)

Probably. But I have neither time nor need. I'm still running
on the same box as 1999.

-- Robert author `cpuburn` http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm

From: Ant on
On 3/9/2010 6:01 AM PT, Robert Redelmeier typed:

> Ant<ant(a)zimage.comant> wrote in part:
>> On 3/8/2010 8:49 PM PT, Robert Redelmeier typed:
>>
>> I ran two "burnMMX P" (did not use nice -19) processes
>> since I have a dual core 939 CPU and no crashes and errors
>> after 45.25 minutes. Before I aborted both, I checked the
>> temperatures which look OK for a 75 degrees(F) room:
>>
>> $ sensors -f acpitz-virtual-0 Adapter: Virtual device temp1:
>> +71.2�F (crit = +206.2�F)
>>
>> k8temp-pci-00c3 Adapter: PCI adapter Core0 Temp: +129.2�F
>> Core1 Temp: +104.0�F
>
> You must have good cooling. `burnMMX P` only exercises 64 MB
> of RAM. You should run about _forty_ (40) of them. This also
> eats up more TLB entries and more switching with nice -19 .

40 times?! Is there an easy way to run it in one command or something? I
had to run two of them manually earlier. :(

> It won't run any hotter, (maybe slightly cooler with all the
> task switching) but will exercise more of the TLB. At the
> very least run 3 or 5 copies.

OK, I am fine to 40 but I don't want to manually copy and paste 40 times. :(
--
/\___/\