From: Tony Hwang on
Elmo wrote:
> What are the shiny CDROM-sized platters in an old desktop disk drive made
> out of?
>
> I glued two of them together so that the offset covered the center hole to
> use as an indestructable traveling shaving mirror.
>
> A friend said they won't pass TSA security but they're not sharp. They are
> just really shiny and really flat.
>
> What are they made out of anyway?
Hi,
They are metal platter.
From: Sylvia Else on
On 22/06/2010 2:48 PM, Elmo wrote:
> What are the shiny CDROM-sized platters in an old desktop disk drive made
> out of?
>
> I glued two of them together so that the offset covered the center hole to
> use as an indestructable traveling shaving mirror.
>
> A friend said they won't pass TSA security

You're suggesting that TSA use any sort of rational criterion when
deciding what to let through?

Sylvia.
From: aemeijers on
DA wrote:
> responding to
> http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/TSA-shaving-mirror-out-of-a-hard-disk-drive-what-are-those-448822-.htm
> DA wrote:
>
> Elmo wrote:
>

>> What are the shiny CDROM-sized platters in an old desktop disk drive
>> made
>> out of?
>
>> I glued two of them together so that the offset covered the center hole
>> use as an indestructable traveling shaving mirror.
>
>> A friend said they won't pass TSA security but they're not sharp. They
>> are
>> just really shiny and really flat.
>
>> What are they made out of anyway?
>
> A bit of a strange choice of material for *traveling* shaving mirror (and
> shape, too: how do you hold it while shaving?) - there are plastic mirrors
> that are brighter and lighter. You'd think weight would be an important
> parameter for a traveler...
>
> But I think TSA should definitely have an issue with you bringing it into
> the cabin (why do you need a shaving mirror there anyways? Half the wall
> space in a lavatory not enough?) . If it's a ceramic platter, it should be
> able to shutter into very sharp shards useful for well, I don't know,
> slashing someone's throat to hijack a plane?
>
> Leave it at home.
>
> -------------------------------------
> /\_/\
> ((@v@)) NIGHT
> ():::() OWL
> VV-VV

And yet they let the FA's pass out aluminum pop cans, that when drained
and folded in half, then torn by flexing them across the edge of the
fold-down tray, make two dandy slashing weapons, with convenient hand grips.

To anyone who has had any training (and no, I haven't had any), the
cabin is full of all sorts of improvised weapons there for the taking,
not to mention how easy it is to make a weapon look like part of a
carry-on bag. Security theater, nothing more. The real security is the
armored cabin door, and the revised protocols for hijack situations. In
short, cabin crew and pax are expendable, and the bad guys know it.
Cabin crew and pax know it too, which is why you had people swarming the
last few idiots. Can't hijack a plane any more, but you may be able to
destroy one in flight.

--
aem sends...