From: Miha on
Hi

We're planning to 'upgrade' from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. We have
Exchange 2003 SP2 Enterprise in Win2003 R2 domain environment, about 80
mailboxes behind ISA 2006 server.
So the plan in to install into existing environment Windows 2008 Server with
Exchange 2010 Standard with all three roles on it (we don't need
Enterprise) and then move all mailboxes from 2003 to 2010.
Do we need to pay any extra attention to some difficulties that may come, or
is this more or less smothe transition?
What happens with Exchange mail accounts that are defined in users Outlook
(2003 version) - I guess we need to change them to a new server account
name? Are there any extra settings on ISA 2006, or we just publish to a new
IP of Exchange 2010?
Thank you in advance,
Regards,Miha

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:00:28 +0200, "Miha" <miha(a)positiva.si> wrote:

>Hi
>
>We're planning to 'upgrade' from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. We have
>Exchange 2003 SP2 Enterprise in Win2003 R2 domain environment, about 80
>mailboxes behind ISA 2006 server.
>So the plan in to install into existing environment Windows 2008 Server with
>Exchange 2010 Standard with all three roles on it (we don't need
>Enterprise) and then move all mailboxes from 2003 to 2010.
>Do we need to pay any extra attention to some difficulties that may come, or
>is this more or less smothe transition?

The movement of the mailboxes shouldn't present any problems. There
are, however, many differences between 2003 and 2010 in terms of the
administrative model, the use of CAS and HT servers, etc. that are
sure to cause you to relearn ways of accomplishing tasks.

>What happens with Exchange mail accounts that are defined in users Outlook
>(2003 version) - I guess we need to change them to a new server account
>name?

Nothing needs to happen. The account is still the account, and the
mailbox is still the mailbox.

>Are there any extra settings on ISA 2006, or we just publish to a new
>IP of Exchange 2010?

I haven't dealt with Exchange 2010 and ISA or TMG yet. There were
changes for 2003 though, and those changes will still be necessary for
2010.

Is it safe to assume you've already settled on the various names for
the different URLs and that you understand autodiscover, that you have
a SAN certificate (or soon will have one), and you know that the CN of
the certificate must match the name used by Outlook in the Exchange
Proxy Settings, etc.?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP