From: William R. Walsh on
I'm about to give up...

I received a Teac AG-790 stereo receiver with burn damage to the PCB
underneath resistors 7R41, 7R47, 7R?? (unmarked, next to 7R47) and 7R48. I
repaired all of this damage, cleaned up the carbon that had been left behind
and soldered to the nearest remaining good portion of the board.

Up to this point, the receiver did what it has done since I got it. It
played through the right channel only.

I kept on looking and found a capacitor at location 7C27 (220uF, 16V) that
had blown out the rubber plug at the bottom. So I replaced that. Now nothing
works. I know the new cap to be good. The unit will power up just as it
always has, there are no blown fuses and my repair job seems to be
bulletproof (and correct, per the schematic in the service manual). The
audio is gone, replaced only by a faint humming on speakers and headphones
alike, in the right channel. Turning the volume dial does not change this.
There is still nothing from the left channel. The unit is not in protection
and nothing is getting hot, burning up or worse.

In addition, the display on the front of the unit will now indicate "E0" (or
maybe it's an O...no way to tell). This is not mentioned in the service
manual, nor did I find anything in a web search. Operations from the front
panel remain possible.

I'm beginning to think that it may be too far gone to fix. Anyone out there
with an eleventh hour idea?

William

From: Jamie on
William R. Walsh wrote:

> I'm about to give up...
>
> I received a Teac AG-790 stereo receiver with burn damage to the PCB
> underneath resistors 7R41, 7R47, 7R?? (unmarked, next to 7R47) and 7R48. I
> repaired all of this damage, cleaned up the carbon that had been left behind
> and soldered to the nearest remaining good portion of the board.
>
> Up to this point, the receiver did what it has done since I got it. It
> played through the right channel only.
>
> I kept on looking and found a capacitor at location 7C27 (220uF, 16V) that
> had blown out the rubber plug at the bottom. So I replaced that. Now nothing
> works. I know the new cap to be good. The unit will power up just as it
> always has, there are no blown fuses and my repair job seems to be
> bulletproof (and correct, per the schematic in the service manual). The
> audio is gone, replaced only by a faint humming on speakers and headphones
> alike, in the right channel. Turning the volume dial does not change this.
> There is still nothing from the left channel. The unit is not in protection
> and nothing is getting hot, burning up or worse.
>
> In addition, the display on the front of the unit will now indicate "E0" (or
> maybe it's an O...no way to tell). This is not mentioned in the service
> manual, nor did I find anything in a web search. Operations from the front
> panel remain possible.
>
> I'm beginning to think that it may be too far gone to fix. Anyone out there
> with an eleventh hour idea?
>
> William

did you put the new cap in backwards?

Also, is it possible that maybe the protection circuit is now
working since you put the cap in, which is why you are now
getting the E0 error. This could be caused by yet, a problem that
remains in the bad channel..

Assuming this is like most protection output circuits, you may
want to test the output of the bad channel before the relay circuit
that joins the speakers. .YOu could have a channel that is outputting
DC above the safe point for the initial on cycle. Which would lead
to say that you still have a problem, ofcourse!

From: stratus46 on
On Jun 26, 5:57 pm, "William R. Walsh"
<newsgrou...(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote:
> I'm about to give up...
>
> I received a Teac AG-790 stereo receiver with burn damage to the PCB
> underneath resistors 7R41, 7R47, 7R?? (unmarked, next to 7R47) and 7R48. I
> repaired all of this damage, cleaned up the carbon that had been left behind
> and soldered to the nearest remaining good portion of the board.
>
> Up to this point, the receiver did what it has done since I got it. It
> played through the right channel only.
>
> I kept on looking and found a capacitor at location 7C27 (220uF, 16V) that
> had blown out the rubber plug at the bottom. So I replaced that. Now nothing
> works. I know the new cap to be good. The unit will power up just as it
> always has, there are no blown fuses and my repair job seems to be
> bulletproof (and correct, per the schematic in the service manual). The
> audio is gone, replaced only by a faint humming on speakers and headphones
> alike, in the right channel. Turning the volume dial does not change this..
> There is still nothing from the left channel. The unit is not in protection
> and nothing is getting hot, burning up or worse.
>
> In addition, the display on the front of the unit will now indicate "E0" (or
> maybe it's an O...no way to tell). This is not mentioned in the service
> manual, nor did I find anything in a web search. Operations from the front
> panel remain possible.
>
> I'm beginning to think that it may be too far gone to fix. Anyone out there
> with an eleventh hour idea?
>
> William

'blown plug' usually means the acid is out and quite possibly eating
away the traces near by. Replacing the cap may have finished off a
nearly gone trace. Do you have the prints so you can 'ohm it out' and
verify the connections are actually there?

From: Baron on
William R. Walsh Inscribed thus:

> I'm about to give up...
>
> I received a Teac AG-790 stereo receiver with burn damage to the PCB
> underneath resistors 7R41, 7R47, 7R?? (unmarked, next to 7R47) and
> 7R48. I repaired all of this damage, cleaned up the carbon that had
> been left behind and soldered to the nearest remaining good portion of
> the board.
>
> Up to this point, the receiver did what it has done since I got it. It
> played through the right channel only.
>
> I kept on looking and found a capacitor at location 7C27 (220uF, 16V)
> that had blown out the rubber plug at the bottom. So I replaced that.
> Now nothing works. I know the new cap to be good. The unit will power
> up just as it always has, there are no blown fuses and my repair job
> seems to be bulletproof (and correct, per the schematic in the service
> manual). The audio is gone, replaced only by a faint humming on
> speakers and headphones alike, in the right channel. Turning the
> volume dial does not change this. There is still nothing from the left
> channel. The unit is not in protection and nothing is getting hot,
> burning up or worse.
>
> In addition, the display on the front of the unit will now indicate
> "E0" (or maybe it's an O...no way to tell). This is not mentioned in
> the service manual, nor did I find anything in a web search.
> Operations from the front panel remain possible.
>
> I'm beginning to think that it may be too far gone to fix. Anyone out
> there with an eleventh hour idea?
>
> William

Just asking, you did put the cap in the right way round !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Arfa Daily on

"Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
> William R. Walsh Inscribed thus:
>
>> I'm about to give up...
>>
>> I received a Teac AG-790 stereo receiver with burn damage to the PCB
>> underneath resistors 7R41, 7R47, 7R?? (unmarked, next to 7R47) and
>> 7R48. I repaired all of this damage, cleaned up the carbon that had
>> been left behind and soldered to the nearest remaining good portion of
>> the board.
>>
>> Up to this point, the receiver did what it has done since I got it. It
>> played through the right channel only.
>>
>> I kept on looking and found a capacitor at location 7C27 (220uF, 16V)
>> that had blown out the rubber plug at the bottom. So I replaced that.
>> Now nothing works. I know the new cap to be good. The unit will power
>> up just as it always has, there are no blown fuses and my repair job
>> seems to be bulletproof (and correct, per the schematic in the service
>> manual). The audio is gone, replaced only by a faint humming on
>> speakers and headphones alike, in the right channel. Turning the
>> volume dial does not change this. There is still nothing from the left
>> channel. The unit is not in protection and nothing is getting hot,
>> burning up or worse.
>>
>> In addition, the display on the front of the unit will now indicate
>> "E0" (or maybe it's an O...no way to tell). This is not mentioned in
>> the service manual, nor did I find anything in a web search.
>> Operations from the front panel remain possible.
>>
>> I'm beginning to think that it may be too far gone to fix. Anyone out
>> there with an eleventh hour idea?
>>
>> William
>
> Just asking, you did put the cap in the right way round !
>
> --
> Best Regards:
> Baron.

Agreed on that, but seems to me that the fundamental question is not being
asked. In what part of the circuit is the replaced cap ? Can you determine
its exact function from the schematics ?

Knowing that may be helpful to assess whether there may be an immediated
connection between the previous and current symptoms, or whether we're in
'red herring' territory here ...

Arfa