From: Rob Willison on
Hi,

I just recently had a Technics SL-B100 turntable refurbished with a
new cartridge and needle. I don't have a receiver yet, but I was
speaking over the phone to someone who might sell me one, and he asked
if the piece has a grounding wire. I looked in the back and I see a
small hole next to the red and white wires that plug into a receiver,
but no wire.

Do I need a grounding wire for this unit, or not? Any help would be
greatly, greatly appreciated. I've had a very hard time setting this
all up, and I'm a first timer.

Best,

Rob
From: Franc Zabkar on
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 21:11:31 -0700 (PDT), Rob Willison
<willison(a)gmail.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Do I need a grounding wire for this unit, or not?

Here is a library of turntable manuals:
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics.shtml

- Franc Zabkar
From: Mark Zacharias on
"Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 21:11:31 -0700 (PDT), Rob Willison
> <willison(a)gmail.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>
>>Do I need a grounding wire for this unit, or not?
>
> Here is a library of turntable manuals:
> http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics.shtml
>
> - Franc Zabkar
> --
> Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

If it has a metal tonearm, yes.

Many Technics models of this time had a detachable ground wire, which
frequently got pulled out and lost. I have been able to rig replacements.

Mark Z.

From: David Nebenzahl on
On 8/9/2010 4:42 AM Mark Zacharias spake thus:

> "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote in message
>
>> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 21:11:31 -0700 (PDT), Rob Willison
>> <willison(a)gmail.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>>
>>> Do I need a grounding wire for this unit, or not?
>>
>> Here is a library of turntable manuals:
>> http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics.shtml
>
> If it has a metal tonearm, yes.
>
> Many Technics models of this time had a detachable ground wire, which
> frequently got pulled out and lost. I have been able to rig replacements.

Should be super-simple; aren't they just screwed to the metal deck on
the bottom (assuming there is one)? If not, then probably to the bottom
of the tonearm mount.