From: Phil Hobbs on
On 8/6/2010 7:31 PM, Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie wrote:
> I was just musing the other night about Tesla's AC and how it
> revolutionized electric wiring, with the step-up transformers and
> all.
>
> Well, if you start with, say, 100V, you need to carry 1 amp to power
> a 100W light bulb.
>
> But if you step up the 100V to 1,000V, you only need wire that can carry
> 100mA.
>
> And if you step it up to 1,000,000V, you only need 100 _micro_ amps.
>
> So, logically, if you could step up the voltage enough, you shouldn't
> need any wires at all!
>
> Unfortunately, the darned electrons arc over to stuff before they get
> to the destination transformer. )-;
>
> But, in fairness, those guys were just discovering electricity for the
> first time, and NOBODY knew anything about how it might behave.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

Tesla had an excellent excuse, but the modern Tesla enthusiasts don't.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

email: hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
From: krw on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 15:16:33 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>On 8/6/2010 7:31 PM, Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie wrote:
>> I was just musing the other night about Tesla's AC and how it
>> revolutionized electric wiring, with the step-up transformers and
>> all.
>>
>> Well, if you start with, say, 100V, you need to carry 1 amp to power
>> a 100W light bulb.
>>
>> But if you step up the 100V to 1,000V, you only need wire that can carry
>> 100mA.
>>
>> And if you step it up to 1,000,000V, you only need 100 _micro_ amps.
>>
>> So, logically, if you could step up the voltage enough, you shouldn't
>> need any wires at all!
>>
>> Unfortunately, the darned electrons arc over to stuff before they get
>> to the destination transformer. )-;
>>
>> But, in fairness, those guys were just discovering electricity for the
>> first time, and NOBODY knew anything about how it might behave.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rich
>>

>Tesla had an excellent excuse, but the modern Tesla enthusiasts don't.

Why? Both were/are mad. ;-)
From: Grant on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 15:16:33 -0400, Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>On 8/6/2010 7:31 PM, Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie wrote:
>> I was just musing the other night about Tesla's AC and how it
>> revolutionized electric wiring, with the step-up transformers and
>> all.
>>
>> Well, if you start with, say, 100V, you need to carry 1 amp to power
>> a 100W light bulb.
>>
>> But if you step up the 100V to 1,000V, you only need wire that can carry
>> 100mA.
>>
>> And if you step it up to 1,000,000V, you only need 100 _micro_ amps.
>>
>> So, logically, if you could step up the voltage enough, you shouldn't
>> need any wires at all!
>>
>> Unfortunately, the darned electrons arc over to stuff before they get
>> to the destination transformer. )-;
>>
>> But, in fairness, those guys were just discovering electricity for the
>> first time, and NOBODY knew anything about how it might behave.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rich
>>

>Tesla had an excellent excuse, but the modern Tesla enthusiasts don't.

But they seem to take so much care in winding that tall secondary,
they look quite pretty, that shiny enamelled wire cylinder. Quite
useless, except for the Buzzt! factor long sparks ;)

From: Phil Hobbs on
On 8/7/2010 6:09 PM, Grant wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 15:16:33 -0400, Phil Hobbs<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/6/2010 7:31 PM, Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie wrote:
>>> I was just musing the other night about Tesla's AC and how it
>>> revolutionized electric wiring, with the step-up transformers and
>>> all.
>>>
>>> Well, if you start with, say, 100V, you need to carry 1 amp to power
>>> a 100W light bulb.
>>>
>>> But if you step up the 100V to 1,000V, you only need wire that can carry
>>> 100mA.
>>>
>>> And if you step it up to 1,000,000V, you only need 100 _micro_ amps.
>>>
>>> So, logically, if you could step up the voltage enough, you shouldn't
>>> need any wires at all!
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the darned electrons arc over to stuff before they get
>>> to the destination transformer. )-;
>>>
>>> But, in fairness, those guys were just discovering electricity for the
>>> first time, and NOBODY knew anything about how it might behave.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rich
>>>

>> Tesla had an excellent excuse, but the modern Tesla enthusiasts don't.
>
> But they seem to take so much care in winding that tall secondary,
> they look quite pretty, that shiny enamelled wire cylinder. Quite
> useless, except for the Buzzt! factor long sparks ;)

I'm not talking about Tesla _coil_ enthusiasts. They're obviously doing
worthwhile stuff--I mean, making 20-foot sparks is at least as useful as
blowing up anthills with dynamite, for instance. Blowing up stuff is a
logical consequence of having testosterone, it's fun, and it's
occasionally a life saver.

It's the wireless power transmission / over unity / extracting
continuous power from permanent magnets / loony types I'm fed up with.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

From: m II on
Phil Hobbs wrote:

> I'm not talking about Tesla _coil_ enthusiasts. They're obviously doing
> worthwhile stuff--I mean, making 20-foot sparks is at least as useful as
> blowing up anthills with dynamite, for instance. Blowing up stuff is a
> logical consequence of having testosterone, it's fun, and it's
> occasionally a life saver.

My personal favourite was stuffing CO2 cartridges with wooden match
head scrapings. Not ONE of the launch attempts actually performed like
a rocket. They all blew up and grossly disfigured the angle iron
launching ramps.

One 'trial' managed to uncurl a bit of decorative wrought iron railing
that was holding the cylinder. On a Sunday morning, 8 AM.

The echo from the blast came back from a large building a block away.
We cleared out of there NOW!

We were all lucky not to get killed or maimed by the shrapnel. There
seemed to be a continent wide scourge of kids getting damaged by
homemade rockets. The safe, commercially made model rockets were still
years away.

It must have all been a billion to one odds series of events, as we
all know that testosterone has NEVER, EVER caused stupidity in male
adolescents.

mike