From: Vibs on
Running the SQL 2005 Management Studio 2005 Express as ADMINSTRATOR solved my problem under windows vista and even under Windows Seven.

Thanks a lot for the quick solution.

Jeffrey Williams wrote:

Re: Unable to stop service SQLSERVERAGENT
18-Oct-08

John Bell wrote:

This is NOT a bug. Since you are running Vista - you cannot stop/start
the service from SSMS unless you are running SSMS as the Administrator.
Right click on the shortcut to SSMS - Run As Administrator and you
will be able to start/stop SQL Server.

BTW - if you want to start/stop a server that is not running on the same
Vista system that is not a problem at all.

All part of Vista's UAC.

On Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:22 AM
SassanKara wrote:

Unable to stop service SQLSERVERAGENT
Additional information: Access Denied (ObjectExplorer)

I get this/respective message when trying to stop either SQL server or SQL
server agent (SQL 2005 build 3068 installed on Windows 2008 server) from
within Management Studio.

Stopping either service from the services applet is not a problem - both
mine and the respective service account are part of local Admin group.

On Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:48 AM
SassanKara wrote:

Windows authentication - from the error ti seems like I am missig a permission
Windows authentication - from the error ti seems like I am missig a
permission on object explorer - I currently just cant figure out where to
adjust/add it.

Sassan

"Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]" wrote:

On Monday, August 18, 2008 2:47 AM
John Bell wrote:

Re: Unable to stop service SQLSERVERAGENT
Hi

Have you connected to the server using windows authentication or SQL
Authentication. Try making a connecting with a local admin windows account!

John

On Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:06 AM
SA wrote:

I am getting this same error message too.
I am getting this same error message too. I even changed the services to
start as the user connected to the db and I still can't start/stop either db
or agent. I can do this via control panel no problem. I have VS 2008
installed and I am running Vista Ultimate. I suspect that it is one of these
that is causing the problem.

BTW, tried as sa and as a user that is in the local admins group and a
sysadmin. What I really don't like is that I have progressively opened up my
system to allow remote access, features that I don't use, elevated
permissions. None of these work.

A sysadmin user can't stop/start sql server in management studio. That is a
bug imo.

"John Bell" wrote:

On Friday, October 17, 2008 6:09 PM
John Bell wrote:

Re: Unable to stop service SQLSERVERAGENT
A bug is only when there is a fault in the code, this is sounds like a
problem with your system.

You may want to try and re-install the client tools.

John

On Friday, October 17, 2008 6:48 PM
SA wrote:

That's a lame response.
That's a lame response. Multiple people with the same problem is not likely
to be MY system, which is 2 month old Dell with virtually nothing on it but
MS VS 2008 and SQL Server. The fact that SQL Server 2005 does not even work
with VS 2008 is a pretty good sign that it is not me. It is MS compatibility
with its own products.

Which is a bug *IMO*

"John Bell" wrote:

On Saturday, October 18, 2008 9:03 AM
John Bell wrote:

Re: Unable to stop service SQLSERVERAGENT
And what does such as statementl like SQL Server 2005 does not work with VS
2008 mean????

Just so I can tell all of our developers!

John

John Bell wrote:

This is NOT a bug. Since you are running Vista - you cannot stop/start
the service from SSMS unless you are running SSMS as the Administrator.
Right click on the shortcut to SSMS - Run As Administrator and you
will be able to start/stop SQL Server.

BTW - if you want to start/stop a server that is not running on the same
Vista system that is not a problem at all.

All part of Vista's UAC.

OWC Spreadsheet Component ASP.NET Calculations
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/2adaa1e2-349d-400c-8966-574848f2e3f8/owc-spreadsheet-component.aspx