From: Mok-Kong Shen on
mosherubin wrote:
> ........ Should anyone need more,
> I can easily provide 13,500 such pairs.

A tiny question: You wrote in your paper: "It is clear today that
no such machine was ever constructed." So how was this rather
voluminous material originally obtained, without risking substantial
errors?

Thanks.

M. K. Shen

From: mosherubin on
On Jul 6, 3:51 pm, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> mosherubin wrote:
> > ........   Should anyone need more,
> > I can easily provide 13,500 such pairs.
>
> A tiny question: You wrote in your paper: "It is clear today that
> no such machine was ever constructed." So how was this rather
> voluminous material originally obtained, without risking substantial
> errors?
>
> Thanks.
>
> M. K. Shen

I believe John Byrne Jr. was quoted as saying that his father had him
perform the lengthy encipherings several times to guarantee there were
no errors.

The interesting thing is that one, solitary ciphertext error crept
into Exhibit 1 as published in "Silent Years". Byrne prepared a
pamphlet in 1937 entitled "Chaocipher: The Ulimate Elusion" (see
http://www.mountainvistasoft.com/chaocipher/nsa-foia/foia-contents.htm,
bottom of the page). This pamphlet was presented to the US Navy in
1937 when Byrne submitted Chaocipher in answer to a Navy call for
cryptographic submissions (Byrne lost out to the ECM Mark III, see
http://www.quadibloc.com/crypto/ro0205.htm). On page 8 (http://
www.mountainvistasoft.com/chaocipher/nsa-foia/The-Ultimate-Elusion.08.cropped.gif),
line 184, group 11, the ciphertext correctly says "ZXCGM". In "Silent
Years", however, the typesetter introduced an error and printed
"XZCGM" (note the two-letter swap). This minor glitch will garble the
rest of the deciphered message from this point onwards. Anyone
tackling Exhibit 1 should use "ZXCGM".

The point here is that Byrne Sr. and Jr. made not errors in the 1937
pamphlet, which is admirable given the amount of manual, error-prone
work involved. So the answer to your question is, long, arduous, and
careful enciphering.

Moshe
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
mosherubin wrote:

> .......... (Byrne lost out to the ECM Mark III, see
> http://www.quadibloc.com/crypto/ro0205.htm).

I conjecture there might be some then unsolved problems of engineering
a corresponding device (as compared to a known rotor device) such that
it could be correctly and efficiently handled in the military field
environments.

M. K. Shen
From: james cross on
Two algorithms for finding the starting alphabets of Exhibit 1, from
Byrne's plain and ciphertexts, has now been developed and published
at:

http://s13.zetaboards.com/Crypto/topic/6715252/1/#new

and

http://s13.zetaboards.com/Crypto/topic/6715252/1/#new

From: Ollivier Robert on
In article <12992cd7-71f1-4963-ba47-d4736b20ad4e(a)m18g2000vbg.googlegroups.com>,
mosherubin <moshe.rubin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>The paper "Chaocipher Revealed: The Algorithm" can be found at:
>
> http://www.mountainvistasoft.com/chaocipher/chaocipher-017.htm
>
>Be sure to follow the anticipated flurry of activity in the Chaocipher
>area in the Crypto Forum web site (http://s13.zetaboards.com/Crypto/
>forum/3003636/).
>
>Moshe Rubin
>The Chaocipher Clearing House
>http://www.mountainvistasoft.com/chaocipher/

I don't know if you are collecting links to implementations in various
languages for Chaocipher but I wanted to mention that I wrote one in Ruby
as part of my ongoing development of several oldish cryptosystems (such as
ADFGVX, VIC cipher, Playfair and so on) called old-crypto.

See more into on my development site
http://dev.keltia.net/projects/old-crypto
http://dev.keltia.net/news/9

Code is either